Nano/Micro (that means small right?)

Bouncer420

Could someone explain to me the difference between a nano and a micro reef tank? Small and super small? Plus, I'm thinking about setting up a nano/micro tank, what are the filtering requirments? What can I get away with using? I've been looking at some of the prices for the high-end filtration stuff and it's making me a little woozy...:barf: I read about a guy making his own refugeum... Anyways, I digress

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Could someone explain to me the difference between a nano and a micro reef tank?

Well the line is kinda blurry, but strictly speaking...a micro reef would be classified as a reef of less than 5g and a nano would go from 5-20g, although that is certainly debateable.

Plus, I'm thinking about setting up a nano/micro tank, what are the filtering requirments?

In my nano I use LR and a HOB refugium and a skimmer. Lot's of nano folks are just using powerheads for circulation, LR and waterchanges, and they are having excellent results.

Bouncer420

What does HOB mean? And are the cycling times shorter for the smaller tanks? I'm thinking of starting one for a friend. (I guess the christmas spirit has got me!)

Witfull

Hang On Back = HOB
a type of filter/ skimmer tank hangs from the tank or sump.

as for nano/ micro..in general they are harder than a "regular" tank. since there is less water, any problem happens faster. im not discouraging you just letting you know, and let your friend know too.

Bouncer420

Then, if that's the case. Would you say that when you have a good tank up and running that it would be less of a hastle because everything in it has to work together very well in the first place?

Witfull

yep, thats true, as a tank ages it gets less of a problem, thats why we set up new tanks,,,we are gluttons for punishment....lol

mnreefman

the abuse associated with reefing is ALMOST unbearable... but once you sit back nd enjoy the fruits of your labor.... its worth every knock down or wedgie :)

EdgeKrusher

I agree that keeping a Nano is no small chore, I wouldn't know if it is harder than a regular tank (whatever that means). Since I started with a Nano. But there's alot of work, worry, sweat, tears, blood (from slamming your head into the wall repeatedly) for any tank. keep the questions coming.

Peace

EK

Dingo

A nano takes the same amount of time to cycle as any other tank. Stuff dies and rots at the same rate, no matter how much water you have.

Since it is such a breeze to do a 10% weekly water change (1 gallon or 1/2 gallon, no big deal) don't buy any fancy filtration. 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon and good circulation is all you need.

Also, since you will be doing your water changes religiously (right?) there is no need for any additives whatsoever, unless you are keeping stony corals. Then you need to add ca/alk. Some people like to add iodine, but the utility of that is not proven.

HTH

Dingo

Also, IMO, starting a project like this for someone else may be more of a burden to them than a gift. Unless you are comitted to maintaining it for them.

birdman204

Agreed with dingo. I will hint at my maintainence schedule for my 7 g minibow. Auto top off switch always with 1/2 strength kalkwasser, so keep that reservoir clean and full, about every 5 days. 1 gallon wc every week. I keep an empty jug and a full one, drain into the empty, fill with the full. I have a HOB refugium so macro harvest is bi-weekly due to the limited size. and since I have no fish ( anymore ) I only feed 1 time a week for the mcrohermits and the sexy shrimp. 2 x a month i will feed the ricordeas and trachyphyllia some frozen krill or silversides. That is it I left for 5 days, all my wife had to do was refill the topoff. Of course this is all after 6 months of testing and tweaking :p
Nano's as gift = no - no unless you will maintain, or they are very enthusiastic about maintainng it. Just my .02$

openbrain

How do you keep your tank from overheating? I'd love to have a nano tank but I have a hard enough time keeping the 180 cool.

Dingo

I have an open back hood and a 12v PC box fan blowing into the hood over the bulb. My heater has to fight to keep the tank warm, and it drops about 1/2 degree when the light goes on. Also, having a sump (which I don't) goes a long way towards cooling things off, especially if you have a fan in the sump. I wouldn't recommend using a fan without an autotopoff though.

BigReepher

I have a 20g tall with a 10g sump. 150W 10K DE HQI about 8 inches off the waters surface, with a fan on the sump. Skimmerless with 25-30 lbs LR. Lots of flow and a wavy DSB.:) Awesome looking tank Birdman.

birdman204

nice reepher, I love nano's w/ sumps! Thanks for the compliment. New pics coming soon. I actually got TOTM at NR.com. wow.... too bad it wasn't user voted though. woulda felt a lot better
. The fan thing works for me. I have a 2 inch pulling air out and a 3 inch fan split by my splash guard. that is, half the fan blows on the water under the guard, the other half blows across the top of the guard. 80 degrees no lights. 81 degrees with lights. Fan is on the same timer as the actinics. In the 80, I used 2 12v dc fans blowing in the back directly at the halides, tank is at 79 solid. Watch now that I said it something will eff up :p

openbrain

ok, I have 2 icecap thermo fans on the 180 at this time of the year the heaters have a hard time keeping up, but when it's 85-90 deg. f the tank gets way too hot.... We have installed an air conditioner in the room and that solved the problem, I'm just worried about the temp in a smaller tank, Not so much when we're home but when we're away on vac.

BigReepher

I'm worried about that myself Openbrain. I didn't have the MH's during the summer so I'm not sure how much the heat will rise. We keep the ceiling fan and A/C running pretty much non stop in the summer. So that should help keep it in check some what. I'm always a nervous wreck when we go on vacation. I have to have a tank sitter or I don't go anywhere longer than three days.

birdman204

Open brain. I am running a 70W MH and a 32w PC in the hood. It is open backed, with netting for jumping fish ( I swear I am gonna get that helfrinches.... I swear) 1 2inch fan sucking air in, and 1 3 inch fan blowing air over the water and the splash shield. Temp hits about 82 with the lights on. and drops to 80 when they go off. The fan is on the actinic timer.