My Ten Gal.

Hey All,
I think I finally may have won the war with hair algae.
This is only my second time posting a pic....I'm not Joe photographer either :D

At least y'all know I have a tank now!

Cougra

NIce tank you have there! Thanks for sharing that photo! I would like to see a bit more if you can!

ReefLady

Staff member
Dang,

Ya know, I really really need a nano. There are just a couple *issues* I can't seem to get past (temp stability & topoff).

I may need to pick some of you nano-keepers' brains sooner or later....

;)

I need to work on my photo skills!
This is closer, but some of the corals are washed out in the photo. My clown decided to aggravate my Nepthea to boot!

ReefLady

Staff member
PoinDexter,

Tell me more about that black sand. I love the look of it, but have heard everything between "it's fine", and "it'll poison your tank".

I love the contrast between the black and the corals.

Thanks for the kind words everybody! It means alot as I almost
gave up the hobby recently due to a NASTY bout with hair algae.
When it got to the point that I didn't care anymore, the algae started dying off...go figure? I did shake up the tank and make some changes.

I have not had any trouble with it...It has no buffering capabilities,though. I am currently not dosing anything and
just changing out a gallon a week. I really don't need to add
Ca. anyway. There are quite a few Black Sand Nanos out there
@ the moment...I haven't heard much either way on it. When I
had the fuge hooked up I had aragonite in it..that is something you could do to help maintain a little buff help...Or use a higher
end salt.

Just a quick thought...I think someone has a substrate that
is like 50/50 arag and black....anyone know what I'm talking about?

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks for the info. - appreciated.

Some day when I can figure out how to handle temp. regulation and topoff - I might actually do a nano. ;-)

mattie

RS Sponsor
nice tank i dig the black sand :)

it gives such a contast to the color's in the tank

as far as it posioning your tank i know a few people who use it and do not have problems

and for the buffering effect's of araganite they are minor becouse it needs CO2 to start that process

but you may not be having any problems since there is not too many large corals in there but test kits will tell you where you are with your ph dkh and ca

dickie52

Originally posted by ReefLady
Thanks for the info. - appreciated.

Some day when I can figure out how to handle temp. regulation and topoff - I might actually do a nano. ;-)

Reeflady,
I just use an auto top off for the water and the temp is the same as any other tank. We just use a samll 25 watt, 6" mini heater in our fuges or in our HOB filters. The warm months are handled with a fan blowing across the water.....

Try it, you will like it!!!

dickie52

PD,
The tank looks great!!! I know what you mean about the hair algae! I think we have all fought that battle....How about some spec on that little beauty.....

ReefLady

Staff member
Reeflady,
I just use an auto top off for the water and the temp is the same as any other tank. We just use a samll 25 watt, 6" mini heater in our fuges or in our HOB filters. The warm months are handled with a fan blowing across the water.....

I'm not sure I have the grasp of the auto topoff thing ... does it need to be near a closet or someplace to hide a topoff container? Or, are you running a sump on the nano?

As far as temp goes, well, we regulate our main tank temp by plumbing it to a 100g sump in the basement. I'm not sure that'd be an option here. LOL

Not to hijack your thread - I'll post a separate thread on it when I get closer to attempting it. Txs!

dickie52

Originally posted by ReefLady
I'm not sure I have the grasp of the auto topoff thing ... does it need to be near a closet or someplace to hide a topoff container? Or, are you running a sump on the nano?

As far as temp goes, well, we regulate our main tank temp by plumbing it to a 100g sump in the basement. I'm not sure that'd be an option here. LOL

I would just run it off the same sump. No top off needed, no temp problem. That would be sweet!!!

Crakeur

the tank looks great. when I set the 7 up again in the new office I'm going black sand.

Reeflady, temp control is only really necessary if you have strong lighting. If so, you simply get a microchiller. those little probes pull a nano temp down 10 degrees or more. they make controllers now so you can have it turn off if the water gets too cold. I ran my 7 with the probe and a heater to counterbalance the temp. most stable temp of any tank I've owned.

as for the top off, if the tank has a lid the the evap isn't as bad. My 7 had a halide/pc combo over it and the evap was killer. The next go around will be 36 watt pc's with a lid on the tank. Should allow me to leave the office for a few days without major issues.