My own controller

db75Reef

Started long time ago as an idea, abandoned few times, but finally it is time to finalize it;
Design is done, parts are in, most of software made.... enjoy the build and test

I like things nice and neat, looking as professional as possible, so the design is made using aluminium casing, 3D printed parts, large OLED display with contrast of 2000:1, I2C output to be able to connect large number of lights if necessary, 12 bit PWM dimming, moon / day / noon adjustable curves, coral adapt mode, photo mode and such features;

On its core have a regular Arduino UNO (can use nano, micro, leonardo, etc). I am using UNO because next updates plan to replace it with an M0 (ARM) and transform it in a full aquarium controller (using same I2C bridge) - but for now will stick to UNO and light controller only.

This is the design, will see how close to it I can get in real life

ScreenShot55.jpg

db75Reef

Mounted the 3 out connectors - connector 1 (6 pins) is the I2C bus where I can add multiple light junction boxes, sensors, relays and whatever in the future;
Connectors 2 & 3 are direct PWM out for channels 1-2-3 and ch 4-5-6 as I am using 2 lights each with 3 channels;

Second picture shows the I2C connector with a cap on for protection as wont be used yet

IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

db75Reef

This is the 3d model of cover used for 3d print. Came simple white, but with an airbrush will become nice black;

topcover.jpg

DaveK

This is a very interesting project. I've got a couple of questions about it. When it's complete, what do you expect to control with it? Also, how much do you expect it to cost?

From time to time I have come across a few things that would be nice to control, but don't lend themselves to being done easily with the usual aquarium controllers out there or the cost of a controller just isn't justified.

db75Reef

This is a very interesting project. I've got a couple of questions about it. When it's complete, what do you expect to control with it? Also, how much do you expect it to cost?

From time to time I have come across a few things that would be nice to control, but don't lend themselves to being done easily with the usual aquarium controllers out there or the cost of a controller just isn't justified.

Dave, I would say this project will come in 2 steps. It is tested and works with lights, so really have to build it up and start it as my Storm will die soon; Also the noon time is very important for me and dont have it now;
So step 1 is for lights only - good thing is that number of lights are not limited by the output power of Arduino and practically one controller can be used on large number of lights;

Than can start playing with things for step 2 (depend if will go on a graphic large OLED or a TFT).
What I would like to implement is:
- some temperatures monitoring (water, lights, etc)
- didnt looked too deep into salinity / PH and other types of probes, but doesnt seems complicated
- next to typical PWM can be added some 0-5V and 0-10V dimming features - T5s, pumps, etc
- and some relays with ON/OFF functions, of course

All those should happen through I2C comm and few junction boxes on same wire; Like... CONTROLLER --- light box ----- sensor box ----- relays box ---- etc

Price wise... can be cheaper than what I am doing; Most expensive component is the screen (can replace it with regular screen few times cheaper). Arduino itself - original with 20Eu or eBay with 5???
This metal box is not cheap either (can be replaced with a plastic one 10x cheaper). Same for connectors and stuff; But even like this is cheaper than to buy a standard control from others;

db75Reef

A small graph showing how auto-mode works; in this image are only 2 channels shown, but all 6 works in similar way;

Presentation1.jpg