My 10 Gal. Nano after months

F355GTB

Here's a picture of my nano. This is the best it has looked since I had it (about 3 months)!

Specs:
10 Gal
approx 20 - 25 lbs. of LR
2" to 3" of a mix of live sand, Natures Way Samoa Pink, & southdown
CSL 2 x 40W PC 10000K & Actinics w/ Moonlite
CPR BakPak2 with surface skimmer/overflow
2 ZooMed Powersweeps
Approx 200 GPH circulation

I do a 10% waterchange 2 times a week with NSW (Catalina Water Co.)

Inhabitants:
2 Ocelleris Clowns
Fighting Conch, Queen Conch, blueleg hermits, nassarius, cerith, & bumblebee snails
Sand sifting starfish
Xenia
Branching Hammer
Yellow Leather
Zoos
Bubble tip anemone which moved to back of tank for prime viewing (of course)

F355GTB

Thanks Craig! I bought all small pieces of coral so they can grow & eventually go into the 44 Gal. thats in progress.

F355GTB

I've been reading why bigger is better and would like to go larger than 44 gal, but unfortunately I live in an old house & I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 90 or 120 gal on the floor. I will post progress pics when I get the plumbing finished.

F355GTB

Thanks everybody! I am actually really happy with it... I will post pics of the 44 gal. when I get it up & running. I still have to get a circulation pump (Velocity T3 or T4) to hook up to a pair of SCWDs. Once I get that all together, then I can fill it with water, sand, & LR. Hopefully I can get it together by the end of January.

John

sharks

Contributing Member
Looks great :thumbup:
How are the power sweeps working for ya?
I've had mixed reviews from customers so far.
The only thing I would change is the sifting star.
They can strip the tank of beneficial sand critters.
HIH
S

Curtswearing

Originally posted by F355GTB
I've been reading why bigger is better and would like to go larger than 44 gal, but unfortunately I live in an old house & I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 90 or 120 gal on the floor. I will post progress pics when I get the plumbing finished.

Very nice tank!!!

A lot of this revolves around how the stand is made (i.e. does it evenly distribute the weight) and whether the stand is parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists.

F355GTB

Thanks Sharks!
The Powersweeps work pretty good. I have to give them a good cleaning every month, but that's OK. The sweeping mechanism works just like the SCWD. Water movement through it spins the gears to ocillate the head. I heard that about the starfish too, but my sand bed is strictly for looks so I want the sand as white as possible. With that said, the sand bed stills seems to be denitrifying. I can see tiny bubbles working it's way up the sand.

Curtswearing,
I did look at the floor joists in the basement and they look big & strong (considering the house was built in 1900). So maybe it will be able to handle a couple thousand lbs. or more.

Craig Manoukian

If you build the stand base out of double 2"x4"s and place them accross the floor joists you can really spread the weight out. You can even add a coupe of piers and additional support posts if needed. Get a contractor or engineer friend to take a look for you and figure the max weight you can go.

HTH:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk: