Midas?

lcstorc

I have had 2 midas blennies for several months now. One was sold as a female and one as a male though I quickly lost track of who is who. They immediately picked their spots on different sides of a large block of LR. EVerybody is out and swimming and life is good. I the last week or so I realized the smaller of the two only comes out at feeding time. Other that that she stays in or at least very near her home.
Is it possible she is protecting eggs or even babies in the back of her spot?
Should I do anything different?
Does anybody know about breeding this fish? I could find almost nothing on the internet but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am not sure Lynn but I'll tag along to learn :) I love midas blennies! Breeding them would be awesome.

lcstorc

I figure they will probably become fish food but it would be cool to at least find more information and perhaps someday raise a few.
It's all your fault btw. I had nover seen one until you almost bought the one when you were down here. :)

boozeman

looks like youre on your own on this one Lynn....
''The Midas blenny lays adhesive eggs on the substrate. Little else is known about breeding, which has never been reported with an Ecsenius species in the aquarium''

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I figure they will probably become fish food but it would be cool to at least find more information and perhaps someday raise a few.
It's all your fault btw. I had nover seen one until you almost bought the one when you were down here. :)

Hahaha... and now you have TWO and I am still wanting one! :smck:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's cool Lynn! Is she defending the area at all? I hope you get some little princes and princess!:D

lcstorc

She does zip out to chase anybody away but the other midas. She also gets very angry when I watch her, She opens her mouth and gives me the eagle eye.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Neato! Is the opening in the rock big enough for both of them or do you think she laid and he went in after to fertilize? I know that doesn't sound so good, but we are talking about fish after all!:lol:

lcstorc

I don't think they can both fit in the same hole but their tunnels could connect in the back. They are on opposides of the rock. Maybe I should try to see if they are connected when I get home.

lcstorc

Well no change in he midas behavior. I keep a close eye but unfortunately can't watch all the time.