maroon and true percula clowns

JCEVERA

Has anyone ever heard of a maroon clown getting along with a true percula, have a 95 gallon with two true perculas, because my daughter wanted them, but they stay at the the top corners of the tank, I really wanted a maroon, would adding one just cause a feeding frenzy. I realize it's not recommended, Any thoughts.

rufus2008

I agree. I have a maroon clown and a bubble tip anemone and I wanted to add some regular clowns to the tank but everyone said not to do it especially with the anemone. The maroon would defend it endlessly and probably kill the other clowns.

It is possible and has been done before, they have even been paired and bred. Your most probable scenario of success would be to add a very small maroon as the last addition. And even then use caution when introducing it to the tank (small transparent container through which they can get used to each other and you can guage their reactions, lots of hiding spaces).

FreshSalt

I know everyone recommends against mixing different clowns, especially maroons, but i have successfully mixed a long established maroon clownfish with a pair of pink skunk clowns, and they were happy as could be, no fighting what so ever. they even swam around together, i agree with jedi knight at least give it a *cautious* shot

chris864

i don't think so maroon clownfish are highly aggressive and more then likely the percula clownfish would get torn up.even if the maroon paired the female would nagg the male to death...i wouldn't even do that

tonypittman

Well, I am about to try this out of necessity. I got a mature maroon clown last week. I decided to get a smaller one to pair with it in a separate tank. Well, even after letting them get used to each other through the glass first, the mature maroon went on an ALL-OUT attack. The new maroon wouldn't have lasted five minutes. So, I took it out, and I am going to have to add it to my 90G reef that already has a mated pair of true perculas. I'm not too excited about having to try this, but it would be certain death for the new maroon in there with the other one.

Fish can be tough to manage!

SeaSiren

I have to say having many different clowns and also pairing up hybrids it is very difficult I have a large "female" Marroon gold striped and she is in my 90g which I will be moving soon into a 150g I have only attempted once before recently to put in another clown and that one clown happened to be a Clarks Clownfish that was huge about 5" or so and a tank wrecker literally. But, the marroon was attacking the poor thing so badly I had to remove it and put it in a tank all by itself. I also recently introduced a large Tomato just to see since this fish was exstremely aggressive as well and same thing so removed the Tomato. I have attempted to pair a Tomato and a Picasso and the larger Tomato seperated from the smaller picasso for over 5 months except for visual contact didnot make her less aggressive she nipped at that poor picasso until I had to remove him as well. Pairing is not easy for sure but, can be done. Finally I paired a smaller tomato with a larger Picasso and they get along wonderfully so sometimes its just the fish but, it seems if the smaller fish is typically the more aggresive species and the larger one the more passive it works better with pairing. And it takes time months not so much days.

Like FreshSalt previously mentioned... I too have mixed clowns successfully...out of necessity. Now my 2 Pink skunks and 2 Percula Clowns are a wolf pack that roam the desert looking for strippers and cocaine. But seriously, it can be done. Good luck.

Also I might mention this to you... I had one Pink skunk and the paired Perculas. The pink skunk tagged along to whatever the Perculas did and they got annoyed of him and would always pick on him and chase him around. My girlfriend thought that the Pink Skunk needed a friend, so I came home from work one day to find a new addition to my tank! Haha. What i did was separate them initially. I put the 2 pink skunks in the refugium for 2 weeks and left the perculas in the display tank. Once reunited they all get along. Sounds like you may have difficulty considering you already tried to acclimate the smaller maroon to the mature. Maybe try getting a Maroon of similar age/size?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Has anyone ever heard of a maroon clown getting along with a true percula, have a 95 gallon with two true perculas, because my daughter wanted them, but they stay at the the top corners of the tank, I really wanted a maroon, would adding one just cause a feeding frenzy. I realize it's not recommended, Any thoughts.
Just found this thread. I have a perc clown n a maroon together. Bought at different times. The maroon beat up the perc for a few weeks n now they coexist peacefully. Course the tank their in is 6' n they both own opposite ends.

,.......don't believe this matt guy