Marine Fish Hardier Than Freshwater Fish?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ok something hit me this afternoon while I was taking my shower. I realized that I've been keeping FW tanks for almost 18 years now and during those period, I've used many different medications and even home made ones for the fish. I can remember FW fish suffering from ick, velvet, parasites etc and boy, was the disease list endless.

However since starting marine almost a year now, I am glad to have never had the chance to use any medication on my fish. The only problem I have ever encountered was ick during my first couple of months but that was taken care of pretty quickly by the cleaner shrimp and garlic.

I now wonder is this due to better filteration system as compared to FW, experience or is marine fish actually stronger than FW.

Any opinion on this people?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
IMHO I just think the methods and equipment used today have made a tremendous difference on water quality and I think that directly translates to a better and longer life for it's inhabitants.

CAT

I agree. Also, many marine fish cost a lot more money and are going into reefs where we can't medicate, so we tend to be very careful about the ones we buy.

Cougra

I think the most common problem with FW fish, is people have more of a tendancy to overstock and overcrowd thier tanks. I have had FW tanks for about 18 years now and I've only had one case of finrot in the tank and that was because I came up with a brilliant idea :columbo: (I was very young at the time!) of mixing Tropical fish with local coldwater fish.

In my Marine tank I've had a nasty case of Marine Velvet that nearly whipped out all my fish because I didn't Q them.

Fish on the whole are generally very hardy and disease resistant, but we keep them in an environment that is less then ideal and very stressful.

Having said that, FW fish are also begining to suffer from a lot of inbreeding to get that perfect fish with the bulbing eyes and extra long flowing useless tails, and a lot of hormone usage that is redusing the health and life expectancy of FW fish.