Mantis seem to be getting more popular...

ChrisY

In all the time at my LFS I have never seen Mantis at my LFS. a few weeks ago, I was astounded to see that they had a peacock for sale, then this past weekend, they also have a couple more, I am thinking they were Zebra or something. they were black and white striped. couldn't tell if they were strikers or spearers, but I suspect spearers.

Anyway, it was cool to see them available at LFS and being clearly labeled as 'do not put this with things you want to keep' :) Pretty expensive though. I think the Peacock was about $100 and the other 2 were like $150 each.

Whats the normal going rate? That sounds high to me.

Chris

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm a cheap ass and I love package deals.. If I remember correctly I bought a 100lbs of dry rock that day with the mantis... I said ill buy all of this rock if u give me mantis for 40.. I'm pretty sure it was 40..

ChrisY

btw, my LFS also has some neat little pico tanks with things like little angler fish, at least I think thats the ones they are. small, stationary for the most part and look like rock.

ChrisY

I agree Tom,

I have enough to take care of now with these 2 tanks, I just thought I would throw it out there that I have never seen mantis for sale here before and now they dont seem to be hard to get.

The thing that seems hard to come by now are Neon Cleaner Gobies. out of sheer luck my LFS got 2 in, we have been looking for them for months and they said even in 'the season' they are hard to come by. Daughter agreed to buy Pip (short for Pipsqueak) out of her pocket and he is a little guy but seems to be doing well in her tank. Seems to have much the same curious personality as my yellow line gobie. if you put your hand in he comes to investigate and see if there are any numnums on your hand he can eat. Lots of personality.

Chris

Brady92

Im hoping to be able to start my mantis chronicle soon lol still building up my sand and cc and getting a skimmer then I'm ordering a peacock from my lfs ;)

I Love Living In Japan

ReefApprentice

This weekend my LFS had a 2" bumble bee mantis for $50 and a 4" pecock mantis for $70.Also had a unknown smasher for $0.50! Sooo tempting but havent been able to set up the 10 nano.

Built347

This weekend my LFS had a 2" bumble bee mantis for $50 and a 4" pecock mantis for $70.Also had a unknown smasher for $0.50! Sooo tempting but havent been able to set up the 10 nano.

Careful what u put in that 10... I don't know about the others but a 10g is far from
Adequate for a peacock

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Brandon78

When I first saw a mantis, I wanted nothing to do with them ever. Now, thanks to Devon and a couple others, I always catch myself trying to think of a setup and get one, sadly I just dont have the extra time right now......soon though :)

Built347

How r u gonna deny that cute face? :)

IMG_20120319_130521.jpg

ReefApprentice

Built347 I wasnt looking at the pecock but the unknown smasher which looked like a Neogonodactylus oerstedii. It was cheap because someone brought him in as a HH on live rock.Go figure.

Built347

Built347 I wasnt looking at the pecock but the unknown smasher which looked like a Neogonodactylus oerstedii. It was cheap because someone brought him in as a HH on live rock.Go figure.

I just figured I'd toss in my .02. They are super smart creatures and the smashers pack a punch... glass thickness is a minor concern but the biggest one is the super intelligent creature stuck in a little box.... make sure the little box is big enough :).. but ya.. I support getting a mantis.. I love mine.. :D