mangrove, coral, fish

Curtswearing

It originally looked like a bomb exploded but things are shaping up nicely. He lost just about all of his corals due to a system re-cycle. :( He drained all of the tanks before the move and left a couple of inches in each with the sand. He also kept a lot of the old water.

It was a shame to lose those corals. (I don't even want to think about how much $$$ he lost).

BTW----I know you have a lot reefing experience and I know that your tank is capable of housing clams. If you ever wanted a feather star he has one in. I'm saying this because I don't want someone who has a tank that has only been running for 6 months to think they should get one of these stars. They are beautiful but require an experienced owner. For those interested, here are some pics http://www.starfish.ch/reef/echinoderms.html#feather

ScottT1980

Anyone seen mangroves in the display tank?

Saltydog's refugium is insane, thanks for the pics Maxx!

Take er easy
Scott T.

Maxx

Saltydog's refugium is insane, thanks for the pics Maxx!
No problem....hope it helps out. As far as mangroves in the main display, I think that might be a challenge to say the least. They would probably wind up shading the tank in most applications although if you were to build a tank like Tony Clafo suggested in his book, that might be cool....and workable...
Curt,
Thanks for the info...but I think I'll pass on the Crinoid. Those things are really hard and i don't know of any one outside of the Shedd aquarium whonhas been able to keep them alive....

swissgaurd

maxx that is one of my worries about the mangroves shading the tank but if i put the mangroves to one side i may be able to get enough light in for low light corals to survive.i notice that saltydog is keeping shrooms.i think ill give the zos a try.
as for the substrate i am using miriacle mud and the mangroves seem to be doing fine so that may be a good choice for the substrate.a little expensive though.
one thought this tank may be a good setup to breed maybe say blood shrimp.

vic

Maxx

That would definately be cool, i'd be happy to help w/ any overcrowding that may occur!:D

Maxx

the article made start thinking...(DOH!) what about a mangrove set up in the main tank, but on the back wall in a sort of refugium type dealie????
Heres just a couple of 30 second rough sketches.....whadya think???

Attachments

• fall2.jpg
    fall2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 24

Craig Manoukian

Very good information.

Just a thought. The Miracle Mud very closely resembles or is modeled after the substrate that mangroves are found in. Mangroves are syonomous with reefs as they are on the fringe and as pointed out by Scott, provide excellent cover for juvenile reef fish.

I know Sue Tuett has a 180 or bigger skimmerless tank with Miracle Mud and it is beautiful. Mangroves do seem to be very good nitrate exporters and so not a far fetched idea at all to incorporate into a reef set-up if done properly, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Maxx

I'm just curious about the logistics of this particular set up....
This late in the AM, I'm having trouble thinking of potential pitfalls and workable solutions......
Nick

ScottT1980

Saltyqueen, great, great, great article that I don't remember ever reading!

To be honest, I initially didn't even think about corals in a display tank with mangroves. In fact, the mangroves in the wild look like a lot like many freshwater setups. I envisioned the roots branching out of the mangroves with little SW fish darting in between them. Then you came along Max :)

I really like your idea a whole lot. Aesthetically, it might even make for an interesting look, having plants growing out the back of a reef tank. I think the miracle mud would also be a good substrate for the mangroves. As for logistics, well, I wouldn't consider it to be much different from any other sort of hang-on refugium with possibly the exception of more intense lighting and light placement. But again, I have never worked with mangroves so I am unsure as to their lighting requirements...

Keep it up, great ideas!

Take er easy
Scott t.

Maxx

Now in the cold, harsh light of the morning, (I don't wanna go to school!) I am wondering if a simple drop in kinda ventilated tray might not be more effective and less permanant. I'm thinking along the lines of something like those molly/guppy/livebearer foating traps that give the fry a chance to sneak thruough the vents on the sides....does this make sense or has the coffee not quite kicked in? From what I've been reading, many people just use indirect lighting spilling over from either the main tank or the refugium for the mangrove seedlings.....I think this may be viable?
Nick

swissgaurd

MAXX i think you got E.S.P.

your drawing is excellent and exactally what i got in mind,except
for the slotted groves to keep the fishies out.i think by seperating the zone where the mangroves are it may become a deadzone.I like the idea that scott has imagined about fishes swimming
amongst the roots.I do have enough lighting from the main tank
to light this tank.Now that just changed my idea of thinking.Get the tank drilled and plumb it in to the main system.because a small tank may run out of nutrients to feed the mangroves.

I wonder if mojo has any input on this system.I think i saw a mangrove setup in one of his photos.

vic

swissgaurd

LOL
here in canada at the house of parliment the bells ring and keep on ringing till the person that is called upon shows up.

lmao

vic