Low Mg

reefer gladness

Aside from water changes you'll need to dose. May want to test Mg in your freshly mixed saltwater to see if the mix is working for you, many salts are mixing with low Mg these days. Kent Tech-M works well but you should probably plan on buying it by the gallon unless you have a nano.

I suspect you're chasing alkalinity with Mg that low as well. Best to bring Mg up first and not chase alk until Mg is brought up as you will have an alk swing while increasing Mg.

Corvus

Had to get Fluval Sea Mg boost. Dosed tank at 2pm today.

Just checked Mg again at 9pm--still at 1100.

Doing a water change tomorrow and I tested the pre-mixed water I will be adding tomorrow: tested at 1000. I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Time to change salt mix?

kh at 9

Ca at 440.

C.

Snid

Instant Ocean is notorious for having low Calcium and Magnesium. Also, depending upon how much salt you have, the lower the Salt Gravity, the lower the Magnesium and Calcium will be. Usually the ideal number for reef tanks is at 1.026, but a couple more or less is within a safe range. That being said, newly mixed salt water with any salt will have different readings at 1.025 and 1.026.

Corvus

My salinity is currently 1.026.

What brand of salt should I switch to? Or, perhaps I should ask, what brand of salt has the most Mg?

Thanks!

C.

Snid

Not that I use it, Seachem Reef is well known for having good levels of Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity. Red Sea Coral Pro is another good one. As is Oceanic.

I use Kent, but I'm not deep into corals beyond little Zoas yet and from what I've been reading, Kent doesn't compare to the ones I've listed above.

bap819

I had the same problem getting my numbers up. I switched to the Red Sea Coral pro and everything has gone up substantially. I still dose every now and then but not nearly as much as I used to. You should try giving it a try and see what happens.