Loss of numerous snails

bcarleton

Everything was great till I added my new corals. I am sure that they had nothing to do with it but just crazy timing. I have lost 5 turbos in the last 4 days, and I think my big snail is on his way out. All my hermits are doing fine of course. Fish seem to be fine. I checked my water and everything is fine except that nitrates are in the 15 range. pH is 8.0, amonia and nitrite are 0. Could it be the nitrates taking them out. I have some water mixing right now so I can do a change. Anything I should be looking for. Should water chenges help stabilize things?

vdituri

How long have they been in the tank?
Have heard that snails should be acclimated even slower than fish due to salinity equalization taking a long time in their internal tissues and organs.
Change salinity too fast and they kind of hemorrage inside and it causes them to die. Just a thought.

Last edited:

bcarleton

Been in there a while. All my little turbos are at least 3 months or longer in my tank. The 2 large snails are the newest adds, about 2 months ago. One dies almost immediately. The other is till going and was doing great till like 3-4 days ago. He id still getting around but not as fast as he used to.

vdituri

Is there enough for them to eat?
I had some die off of my snail population. Some because they don't know how to turn themselves over when the fall down and others because they finally got the hair algae in containment and now the popluation and food supply are evening out.