Looks like a mushroom?

Pat24601

I was very surprised to find this hiding behind my torch coral as I was giving my tank a once over. This spot is typically hidden by my torch and I really never see it. Whatever this thing is, it's probably been growing there for months.

It looks like a mushroom to me...and I mean actual mushroom not a mushroom coral.

It's kind of hard to see in these pics, but below the "petal" their appears to be some kind of huge "stalk" or "tube" that runs deep behind my live rock.

As mentioned, I was stunned to see something so big I wasn't aware of in my tank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pat24601

One thing I really didn't understand when I got into this hobby is just how much crazy, unexpected stuff can go on in these tanks. That's not necessarily bad...makes it a more interesting hobby. Would be nice if I had more time to deal with it all, though.

I guess my bottom line on this thing is I'm trying to figure out if it's good or evil. If evil, it would be a giant pita to eradicate. Not sure I could even do it without pulling out basically all if my live rock....

Pat24601

So, I couldn't find this thing at all this morning. Retracted into the live rock with lights out?

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Yep, they'll do that. Or if they're unhappy. Look for a little "booger" on or in the crevice of the rock. :thumber:

Pat24601

Sue,

That definitely looks like it. I think what threw me is I thought I saw (and maybe I didn't) that it had a very long "stalk" and I thought mushroom corals really only had short stalks. But, maybe I'm not even seeing what I think I'm seeing. The "stalk" is hidden behind the live rock and difficult to get a good view of.

I'd say that's definitely it, though, and sounds like I should just leave it be. I'm kind of surprised my torch and hammer haven't pounded it as it chose a home right next to those two. But, to all appearances all three are doing quite well. :)