Looking for next fish

carolina reefer

Swapped out my 2 40 gallon tanks for a 125. Looking for a good reefsafe fish for my "centerpiece" so to speak. Presently have a pair of percs, two green chromis and a yellow tang. Have live rock and a few LPS. Would like an intermediate fish with a personality that would be compatible. Dumped the sand and am running bare bottom in the main tank with a DSB, refugium in the sump. Any suggestions?

ScottT1980

I always liked tangs as the centerpiece for a tank your size. Are you looking for a rare fish or just something pretty? Or, instead of one centerpiece fish, you could go with a number of fairy wrasses. These guys have the most beautiful colorations and really make a tank look great.

Just some ideas:
Naso Tang (my favorite)
Sailfin Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Or your wrasses:
Scott's velvet wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher wrasse
Red Velvet Wrasse
etc...

Just some ideas...

Take er easy
Scott T.

tankgirl

Don't get one the same size as your yellow tang. Either smaller or larger is better for keeping the aggression to a minimum.
Congrats on the new 125!

An anthias is a great fish. But, you might want to wait a bit for your pod population to go up. Don't get a pair, tho' - the males are pretty relentless so if you want females, get at least three.

TDEVIL

Originally posted by carolina reefer
Just something colorful. Am seriously thinking about a Naso. Anything special I should know about them?

there's not anything special as far as keeping one, except that they get big, mine is still a baby and he is around 6", they get up to 18" and need a lot of flow and swimming room

for a while mine just swam back and forth, which i found out is a sign he wasnt totally happy, i increased the flow by 700gph and he is happy now, mine wasnt in my fish plan, because, even thou i have a 150g i still think that is a bit small when the LR, sand is taken into account

if you are looking for a fish to add color w/o getting huge then tha wrasses are the way to go, but they have some needs also, i wouldnt have an open tank with one, if there is an opening they will find it, trust me they will, but for the color and there personality, i just love them

what size fish are you thinking about, and what kind of color, do you have a boby shape you are looking for, long and slinder or tall and stubby;)

TD