Looking for DIY Wet/Dry Trickle Filter

well bbe I was gonna turn my 75 into a cichlid tank that was slated to be a reef. Plans has changed for this tank, what was gonna be my cichlid tank will now become a SW tank, eithere start out as a FO or FOWLR. So until I can get my 55 FW layed out completely, I might go with a wet/dry sump for it. If I do I know it has been said use a 20 long, but not for me. If i build one it would be with at least a 40 long.

The way I see it, at this time I can get by with what i got, but before this year is over with, I'll probably be running a wet/dry sump on the 55.

bbe22

I'm with you there. I go with over-kill on filtration. DaveK has a different opinion on the size of trickle filters (which I respect), but I say the bigger the better, as long as you "work" them right. I have an acrylic wet/dry on my 55 gallon planted discus tank that was designed to handle up to a 300 gallon tank. It has two power-heads and the e-heim in it along with my heaters and other goodies. Never had a problem at all. This is the most stable tank I've ever had. A lot of people say that discus are difficult to keep, but if you just provide ample filtration, a natural habitat, and a good varied diet it is a walk in the park. Pertaining to the wet/dry filter though, I really think that setting up the drip tray is key. If you don't have an even spread of water you will have balls that never touch water and others that never feel air, completely defying the point. They provide great gas exchange, as long as you don't submerge any of the balls, as they consume large amounts of oxygen when that happens. Anyways, I think you'll be very happy with your filter once you get it up and running.