Long tip Anemone in bad shape?

Oleo1975

Well the LFS got me...I'm convince she was just looking for a sale; and she got a sucker with a new SWT

She said the anemone would be totally fine in my new tank. Poor guy is't looking so hot. he has about 5-6 shriveled up tentacles and his bright orange foot is fading.

I will keep a close eye on him but it's not looking good. Anyone have input if there is anything I should do at this point? I definatly learned my lesson about research vs asking the LFS worker.......she was the owner so I thought she would have some good knowledge....
So did a 10% water change and added a few more # of LR. Moved some stuff around in the tank and just am confused with this darn anemone...He looks like he is getting worse He is shedding a bit more an now it's effecting clarity. On the edge of pulling him out.
Sorry for the poor pic, family was using the good camera for holiday stuff...the nerve.

All parameters are still good (0,0,0,8.2, 1.024).

Day1 :
2013-12-19172007_zps17c4e7b9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Day 14:

:hammerhea

reefer gladness

First thing I would attempt to do is return the nem to the LFS. If they want you as a repeat customer they will take it back.

If that doesn't pan out you've got a crash course in nem care coming up. You've obviously learned that nems are not good choices for new tanks or new tank owners so let's move on. The LTA wants to bury it's foot in the sand. If it's already anchored leave it alone, otherwise you can help by creating a little nem lagoon with rocks on 3 sides and dig out a hole in the sand. Turn down the pumps and carefully move the nem to the hole while supporting it's foot/stalk area from the bottom.

Stable temps, salinity, pH, alkalinity, low nitrates and zero nitrites and ammonia is your next immediate concern. I would also try feeding it very soon, something meaty like half of a silverside feeder fish. Thaw out the silverside and feed it with tongs, a healthy nem will have sticky tentacles and grab the food. I'd probably feed weekly at first and then go every 2 weeks if the nem looks healthy. The RSM tank is on the low end for providing enough lighting but other members have pulled it off so don't worry too much about lighting for now.

If things go really bad have a turkey baster handy to suck up the dead pieces. It will start losing it's color and turn white if it's dying.

Good luck!

reefle

Also make sure you have proper lighting cause mine seems to do well when my LEDs are bright

Oleo1975

Little guy is doing good. Got him to plant his foot. Some people mentioned putting him on a rock; i wasn't sure how that would work so I blocked him in on the sand and he has stayed there even after i removed the surrounding rocks. I have been giving him 1/2 siversides 2 times a week. My True Clown has nested with him and I think he might pull it through :)
20131227_172746_zpsocns6lzu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I'm still insure with him being as "flat" as he is. Does he look average?

reefer gladness

Some people mentioned putting him on a rock; i wasn't sure how that would work so I blocked him in on the sand and he has stayed there even after i removed the surrounding rocks.

Well intentioned but erroneous advice to place on a rock. Most likely thinking of a BTA Entacmaea quadricolor but you definitely have an LTA Macrodactyla doreensis. The sure giveaway is the orange-red column we could see in the first pics. Glad to hear it planted it's foot and hosted your clown. Just keep on top of the water changes, test often and keep the tank as stable as possible while your tank ages. Looks pretty healthy to me. :fingerx:

DaveK

Glad to see it's working out.

For everyone else, as you can see, sometimes anemones do make fantastic recoveries, even when they look really bad off. Sometimes you get lucky or just happen to do everything right.

Oleo1975

So my clown spent the day creating a berm around the anenome. Anyone know why they do this?
20140111_001528_zpsiq9swoys.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Snelly40

cool news!! I was nervous when I saw him floating around... I often turn off my flow while they acclimate and u can even bury their foot for them.. now that he is in plavce he does look happy.... some clowns do that to nest, others to keep the area clean and prevent sand from coming into their home which also protects the anemone... looking good , now just make sure it has good lighting and lets keep hoping :)

Mischko

Say Oleo, is there a rock under the anemone from the rock scaping? Usually anemones tend to settle on rocks, specially in rock splittings, caves to fix their foot in a protected area. I am wondering abit since your anemone doesn't seem to be one of those sand anemones. For the clowns creating a berm around the anemone, I could imagine they are doing so to find a spot to spawn. Usually they will try and spawn close or under their host anemone if possible.