lights out

manopie

Hullo folks! Nice to see a lot of us have migrated over to the new board -- this is my first post here so I thought it should be a gooder!

I'm heading away Christmas Morning bright and early and realised I have no timers for my lights for my salt tank . . . As a refresher -- it's a 72 gallon, 3-4 inch sandbed, about 30 pounds of rock (some live, some trying to come into its own), two Pyjama Cardinals and that's about it -- lots of little flora and fauna but nothing too demanding . . .

Ummmm -- can I go away from the 25th to the 30th and leave the lights out during that time? I know I'll lose some corralline algae and I know some of the caleurpa and nuisance algaes will go but will it cause any more serious damage?

There is some direct sunlight thru the window in the earlier morning and then the freshwater tank's lights are on but the tank is like 15 feet away so it won't be totally dark for the fishies . . .

anyone have any experience with this??

All answers are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Playa

Simon if I was you I would go and buy the timers you need for the lights. If everything is closed I would try to find at least one from a friend.

Luis

danny254

You should be fine! No problem at all. You shouldn't lose any algae, It probably won't grow as fast but will not die back.

Danny

manopie

right on!!! Two totally opposite answers!!! I think I might drop the lights on my planted tank for the week -- it was much too late to get timers when I realised my mistake so I think my plants could handle the lack of light moreso than the salt tank . . . either way . . .

I'll keep checking in thru the evening to see what else surfaces! Thanks for the help so far!

manopie

not on Christmas Eve!! 5:00 everything shuts down . . . you'd think we live in a Victorian colony . . . I'll hit the 7-11 later and see what's what . . . I'm not all that worried about it -- just that thing that happened to pick my mind at the last minute and I thought I'd check!

Thanks!