Lighting Cheato 24/7 - Good or bad?

Ratpack

I have seen set ups do light their macros both ways. Some have it lit on an opposite schedule from the DT and there are some that light it 24/7. What are the pros and cons of each? Currently I have mine on the opposite schedule from DT to help with PH, but would I be better lighting it more? The reason I ask is that I am feeding more now in order to color up the corals. My water was a bit too clean. Even cheato wasn't growing. Now it is growing so I know it has the nutrients it needs, but I want it to do the job and keep the added nutrients at a respectable level. Would lighting it more keep it pulling more nutrients, thus allowing more feedings or does it need a rest period?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I run my refugium lights on opposite schedule of my DT lights. My chaeto grows VERY FAST.
My thinking is the Copepods & Amphipods that are in there (and being a good part of my system) like the darkness & the Chaeto likes the light. I think it's best to have day & night cycles. That's just my opinion tho.

Mike Johnson

DianaKay is probably correct. My light has been on 24/7 for a long time, with no ill affects. Maybe I should put it on a schedule though? There are other types of algae that you definitely should have darkness periods.

reefer gladness

Chaeto does fine 24/7 or on alternating light cycles, up to you. My chaeto has been under 24/7 lighting for a couple years. Pods certainly don't seem to mind, they congregate near the lights.

The primary reason for running alternate light cycles with the refugium is to stabilize pH. When the display tank lights go out photosynthesis stops in the display tank and pH slowly drops. Putting the fuge on an alternate light cycle provides photosynthesis while the main lights are off helping to keep pH stable.