LFS vs. cheaper

essmaker

PREMIUM
Thought I would put out a thought for comments after reading ScottT1980's silicone post:

You often can find products that you would traditionally find at your LFS at other stores such as Home Depot or Amazon.com that are drastically cheaper.

With just about everything being available over the internet these days at cheaper prices, I often find myself struggeling over from where to buy.

I like to support my LFS by purchasing from them, as with most LFS's around me it is more of a hobby than a business since they don't make a lot of money.

I bought a book the other day from my LFS knowing in advance that it was almost $15 more than on amazon.com.

It makes me feel better buying it from the LFS to support the local business but at some point do you have to make the more logical decision to buy it for price?

Thoughts?

Witfull

there are items i buy strictly on cost the #1 item is kalk, i buy pickling lime, at the LFS its 10.00 per pound, wal-mart its 1.47. other things i will buy from my LFS, one convinience, two, i want him to stay in business. you cannot buy coral at Home Depot. i buy my salt from him knowing i can get it a bit cheaper online. other misc. items i buy from him because he has it WHEN i need it. also ordering online there is shipping costs and these must also be factored in. if it comes down to saving a few dollars i go to the LFS. on larger items i will ask him if he can get it and if so how much. i have a good rapor with him and i will tell him flat out the cost online including shipping, if he can get it he will give me the best price he can offer, sometimes this is at his cost, knowing that the item will move him up in discount rate from the supplier, which means he can make more $$ from the disc. than the markup. sound business practice, and he knows that when i come to get it, im in the store and will usually pick some tasty item up too!!

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
Always a tough call for me. Many items, I price both online and at LFS. In the case of filtration, lighting equipment, the cost is often 50-100% more at the LFS. I just can't justify spending that much more. If it's just a couple bucks more, I try to go with LFS.

Things like the item that started this question though- like timers and power strips- forget buying them at the LFS. One LFS near me buys them at Home Depot, doubles the price, and puts them on the shelves. They do the same thing with nori- buy it locally from the whole foods or asian market, package a few sheets into zip-loc bags and charge $5-7.50 each for them. No way am I going to support that kind of behavior. I'm an informed consumer, so why would I buy items purposely meant to take advantage of the uninformed?

For context, this LFS also charges $70-80 for a few stalks of xenia "because it's tank raised."

Travis

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree with both travis and dave,i have a very good repore with one of my lfs and do the same thing as wit.im up front with him on what i can get it for on the net and he will usually come close to the same price.but also on other item like mentioned above i will buy from him to help him out plus for convenience.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have been screwed :flaming: more than once by an LFS especially when I was first starting out in this hobby, so I don't support the LFS as much as I would like to. Most of the equipment I buy is online it's much cheaper. There's only one LFS that I trust and buy most of my fish or corals from and that's "Coral Reef" which is a sponsor at RC:D

mredman

Nothing can replace a good LFS. I make my own fish food so I go to the Asian store - the LFS does not sell shrimp, mussels, fresh fish, oysters, etc. I buy the nori at the Asian store too for $1 for a four-ounce bag - about 4 to 5 times less than the LFS.

I try to buy all of my traditional supplies such as livestock, chemicals (ie salt) and books from the LFS. However, I tend not to use the LFS as a broker. For example, if the LFS says they can order an item, chances are, live Travis stated, you can find it yourself. As a result, I buy 400 watt MH Ushios and chiller parts from electrical suppliers or Marine Depot.

However, nothing replaces the feeling of walking into the LFS, picking out your livestock, and carting it home.

Mike

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The key is finding a good LFS. Unfortunately there isn't many, I had to do a lot of searching before I found a FS that I could trust :(

Curtswearing

Originally posted by mredman
nothing replaces the feeling of walking into the LFS, picking out your livestock, and carting it home.

Mike

Most definately!!!

I'm lucky in that I have a number of good LFS's. I don't mind paying a little extra for an item if I'm supporting one of the good ones. However, the St. Louis market also boasts a number of not good LFS's as well. I don't even go to those. I guess I'm lucky in that I have a choice.

SaltyQueen

There are only 3 stores within 1 hour of me that sell saltwater or reef products- one of those is a Petco, and the other is a Pet Supplies Plus- both large chains. The one locally owned LFS here has excellent prices on some things, but is way overpriced on others. They also have been pretty sneaky in their practices in an attempt to try to make more $$$. Example: one day I went in and they had a blue spotted octopus there- I asked him what the level of care involved with this guy was, and he told me that it was extremely easy to care for!!! :rolleyes: he also told me this about a Moorish Idol once!!! So, as far as trusting him, I DON'T & I'll only buy something there if I know I can't get it somewhere else or online cheaper. I'd love it if there was an honest LFS by me so I could support them, but I'm not going to support someone who puts animal's lives at risk by selling them to unsuspecting people under false pretenses concerning difficulty of care!
*stepping off soapbox now* :p

Last edited:

dgasmd

Like saltyqueen, I have been burned and left a nasty taste in my mouth. I buy mostl;y everything online. Very few items get bought at my LFS. I even get all my corals as frags only and get them either online or from other reefers. The one thing I still refuse to buy mail order is fish. I make my orders count when ordering online, so I pile up a few things I need and get some others to last me for a while. That way I don't have to order very often.

I don't feel I ahve to support businesses that do not support me. It is a 2 way street you know.;)

DocG

I by both online and at a LFS. I have unfortunately had some really, really bad advice from the LFS. When I was young and stupid (last year) I had a girl talk me into buying 4 damsels for my tank.

I have overhead another LFS give some people advice that made me so mad I had to walk out of the store to prevent myself from causing a scene such as ""Oh, you have bubble algae on your rock. You can never get rid of it and it will take over the entire tank. You have throw out all your rock and get this great PREMIUM live rock

With that said there is a store that is located an hour away from me that I respect very highly and I do sometimes make the drive out there to support them - but oh my goodness the prices are horrendous. They aren't the most friendly either.

There is a great online store here in Canada that is cheap, honest, and works really hard to satisfy. Although it is not a local small business, it is a small business.

There is also a new LFS that just opened up and the owner seems to be honest and very knowledgeable so far. I am pretty excited and plan to do a lot of business with him.

TAhats been my experience so far.

Dennis7

Although I have order on-line for livestock(corals and fish). I still prefer a LFS for picking it out myself. You will need to find a good one. I buy alot of drygoods on line also. Mainly for the price. I will buy drygoods at a LFS if the price is close to what I can get it for online, but if the price difference is considerable, I buy online. I really like the LFS that I go to and will get a better price than he has marked on certain items but even though I wish to support his business, I still need to support myself.

Craig Manoukian

I buy all my livestock, if he can get it, at the LFS as his price is always cheaper than what I can order on-line with shipping. There are a few items that MarineDepotLive can get that he can't.

The dry goods are a different story. I can always save a ton of money, including the shipping, on equipment of any kind.

He has a great selection of foods and always has plenty in stock. A very reputable shop and the only one in town.

:) :D ;) :p :cool: :smirk:

ScottT1980

So I have spurred a thread, cool :D

I am very big on loyalty and if a business treats me right and appears to be up front and honest, then I will certainly continue to do business with them as well as promote them anyway I can. With that being said, there are only a few LFS here in Raleigh that treat this hobby and their customers with the values that I expect. Those individuals have my business for life and I will buy most of my livestock and aquari goods from them.

With that being said, these LFS would encourage me or suggest that I buy some things from the hardware store (i.e. the silicone) or the grocery store (kalk). Of course, they would be more than willing to sell these things to me but they understand the values of honesty and of keeping customers happy. Plus, most of their money is going to be made off of livestock and aquarium specific dry goods so losing a $5 sell here or a $10 sell there is not really going to hurt their bottom line (considering they have made a customer happy).

So, I have to place some importance on value, being the poor student I am (I really have a way to pick expensive hobbies). With that being said, I am loyal to a few LFS here that have treated me "right" and so I feel like I balance the two fairly well.

Sorry for the ramblings...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by mredman
However, nothing replaces the feeling of walking into the LFS, picking out your livestock, and carting it home.

Mike

Oh yes this is way better than having to kill your day trying to catch the old DHL or FedEx shipment! Eliminates those cold/hot weather delivery issues!

:) :D ;) :p :cool: :smirk:

dgasmd

Originally posted by ScottT1980
I am very big on loyalty and if a business treats me right and appears to be up front and honest, then I will certainly continue to do business with them as well as promote them anyway I can. With that being said, there are only a few LFS here in Raleigh that treat this hobby and their customers with the values that I expect. Those individuals have my business for life and I will buy most of my livestock and aquari goods from them.
Scott T.

I feel exactly like you say above. I guess the only difference is I haven't found that place you did find.

Alberto

essmaker

PREMIUM
Great comments from everyone. It's sounds as though most people feel the same about supporting our LFSs within reason, especialy when dealing with a worthy LFS.