HELP! Leopard Wrasse

Coraljunkie

I got a blue star from liveaquaria on Saturday. She seemed fat and healthy. You can see pics and videos on my reef chronicle. I got some questions for some wrasse experts or anyone with the answers. Since she's only coming out halfway at night should I try to feed her then? Or should I only feed during the day to entice her to come out? How can I adjust her sleeping schedule? Should I prazipro the tank even though she's mostly under the sand?

Delareef123

I have had my Leopard wrasse for about 5 months now and is my most favorite fish ever!. The trick is really to leave them alone initially. If they survive and stay healthy for a few months then you have a winner. Unfortunately mortality rate with these fish is high. I am told liveaquaria has a very good success rate with these types of fish.

so for the good news. This is normal behavior for the wrasse. When I fist brought mine home he buried himself in the sand and did not come out for a full day.
He then came out for only a few hours when the lights were on. I remember thinking it was gonna be a part time fish (one that I would only see now and then)
Gradually he would stay out longer and longer. I think it took about two weeks to get him on cycle with the lights. As of today, he is right in sync with the lights and is very active all day.

They are skittish at first. When ever I would put my hand in the water he would bury in the sand and not come back out until the next day. So I would always postpone maintenance things until after he was fed. He is more comfortable now and tends to swim towards his hiding spot when I am working on the tank but now he does not bury himself. On occasion if he gets spooked he will bury and then come out after a few minutes.

So, my advise is to keep to your normal feeding schedule. the wrasse will adjust quickly. Why would you need to use prazipro? Is there a sign of infection?

Coraljunkie

It's in an established qt tank by itself soi don't really have a regular feeding schedule unless I should put some food in there during the day even though it's not out? I'm not sure if it has any parasites because she only comes halfway out the sand when the lights are off but from what I've read it seems common practice to treat them all for worms...

Oxylebius

These fish are known to have internal worms. I've de-wormed mine. Here is a link with some good info on it: feeding Prazipro to new wrasses

The fish will be on a different time zone, that is why it is coming out at night and not during the day. This is normal for them to act like this. Give it time to adjust to your lighting schedule.

mahtay

I have a Cardinal and a leaopard wrasse. 3 days after I got the leopard- he came out from the sand and was eating every day ( thank goodness) Then something weird happened. The cardinal wrasse, went under for about a week, I thought it was dead- then it came up! Now it seems to go under for 2weeks sometimes 2 and a half weeks at a time. the leopard- went under 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen her since. I have a McCoskers that I Think is a Male, because I want to try to keep the leopard, black and white. Do you think she will come up eventually? When she was first introduced, she would eat almost everything ( Mysid, Brine, Froz food, and the small gauge hatchery diet- but I also have a nice population of 'pods). I am concerned.

Oxylebius

I'm not sure what is going on with your various wrasses heading back into the sand for long periods of time. I can make some suggestions for you to look into further.

First off though:
  1. How long have you had each wrasse?
  2. Are all of them eating when they are out?
  3. Are any of them showing signs that they aren't eating enough - skinny/sunken belly area?
  4. Did you try to de-worm your leopard wrasse?
Okay, now somethings for your consideration if they are taking to the sand during the day:
  1. If the wrasse is new, it may still be transitioning to the time change and confused on day/night cycles. Give it time to adjust. Don't mess w/it.
  2. Wrasses can take to the sand if they are being picked on or frightened. Determine if this is happening.
  3. Juveniles can also stay in the sand during growth changes / color changes.

DaveR11

I've had my leopards (M. bipartitus like yours) a month. I have 2 and they spent 8 and 9 days in the sand after putting them in the display tank. I did quite a bit of reading on them (thanks @Oxylebius) so was expecting this. They had spent some time in the LFS so already seem to have adjusted their body clocks.

My two are very calm, not bothered by the other fish or me working in the tank. They are only taking frozen food with Mysis being their favourite. They have tasted the flake but seem to always spit it out. Given that they spent over a week without feeding I gave mine plenty to eat for the first couple of weeks and now both look quite plump. There is no aggression between them (they are both female) and they are always on the go searching the rocks for something to eat.

I really like them - best of luck with yours.

mahtay

I hope she is not changing - I don't want a Ursula K Leguinn Wrasse (ha ha)
But, I found today my salt level was high- the meter I had- a floater kind maybe 2 years old is giving false readings. Speaking with my LFS where I got the wrasse they think it may be the elevated salt level. My salt is.....1.031- My meter states 1.026- I am doing ROI 5 gallon changes gradually over the next 2 weeks, 5 gals tomorrow. then maybe in 2-3 days, another 5 gal- and getting a new meter. The LFS is sympathetic and willing to do some testing for me during this time-I will keep you guys posted.

No the leopard was not looking gaunt the last time I saw her, she was eating everything, and yes, she was de-wormed. I have a good relationship with my LFS so things should be ok, they were even talking about a freebie on a replacement, or negotiating a price on those fancy salt meters if I see no results.

mahtay

@mahtay Get a refractometer to help you keep the salinity in check. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refra...n-fluid.html?gclid=CLCnr4WIhMwCFVQ2gQodDoEEEw

This one is $40. I have it and it seems to be very accurate. It probably costs less than your wrasses.
Thanks, my LFS had the 90$ model, but she said there were less expensive models that provided similar readings, she was in process of stocking some in. I will definitely get one- also- My nitrates are high, like- maybe a turbo snail died- high, like scary high, like, far end on the color spectrum. The red sea testing kit I have is about 2 years old. So, If it was on the shelf in the factory for a time before it got sent to me, the chemicals may have decayed. So, more water changes- and I will take water from near the sand bed for the LFS to test,- and use the siphon to get the water from that area. Sorry lots of run on sentences.
But good thing, the 5 gal water change did bring the salt down to 1.026- I was worried it might be a bit too fast.
-Another 7-8 Gal water change going in tomorrow to see if that will cut the nitrates a bit- established fish seem fine, though- I hope I got to them in time, but it does not look good for the leopard.
After nitrates get down the LFS suggested I get the Narcisistic snails ( lol I know, I am unsure the spelling) to do some slow moving sand shifting and possibly get rid of any ...corpses *sigh* If any that is, so hope still floats.