leather frag

cioutlaw

I aquired a finger leather frag over the weekend(Saturday) & it originally was wilted over. By Sunday morning it was standing upright(still is) but hasnt yet showed the feathery polyps the mother coral had. Also has turned from a peach color to a lavender color. Will it just take time? What do these corals look like when near death? At the moment it does not look un-healthy, just looks like I would expect at night.

i have one and sometimes it turns a blue color and then a few days later it comes out like normal just give it time and make sure yiu have enouth cal. in your tank for it
Mike

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Lavender color? It could be a dark color from being shriveled up... probably from the stress of shipping and moving to a new home. My leathers shrivel occassionally for a day to shed skin.

If you see very dark patches or if it completely wilts for more than a few days, then it may be sick or dying.

cioutlaw

Day 5 & no change...I have a frogspawn about 5-6"s from this frag...is it possible that it could be effecting the leather?

cioutlaw

Witfull said:
quite possibly yes~frogspawns are notorious for long stinging swepers.

Wit, does it have to actually come in contact to sting the other coral? If so I dont think that is the case, but I might move just to be sure.

Witfull

frogs can extend their stingers 6-8 inches and if currents are going towards another coral can be stung.

Charlie97L

check it out at night with a red flashlight... you might be able to see... the frogspawn at my LFS is super aggressive... it has a bout a 9" berth around it in every direction, and it has its sweepers out every time i stop by.

cioutlaw

Not sayingt it doesnt do different but mine shrinks up at night when I have looked. The leather actually looks better today & seems to be shedding. Almost looks like spider webs coming off of it. Thanks for the replies

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Great! So it was just shedding :) You may want to move it further from the frogspawn since it will grow quickly and may get stung by it.

cioutlaw

Woodstock said:
Great! So it was just shedding :) You may want to move it further from the frogspawn since it will grow quickly and may get stung by it.

Woodstock, is the shedding process normal then? I agree on moving further apart. soon as my 120gal is complete they will all be moved:)