Koi pond filtration (DIY)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
We'll call this Devons Poopatorium, there's water and plumbing,poop and electricity, and all things stinking of fish.
Koi pond filtration... big fish, big appetites and BIG POO! its a tough issue on a 1000 + gallons, you want crystal clear water but they keep making a mess, the filter must be big enough to contain waste and efficient enough to hold it until cleaning day like a month, having built several models of sanitational failure this is the new and improved one, when your mucking out a Koi filter you really know what dirty is, anyhow here we go.
Brute garbage can, various abs fitting, 1'' bulkhead, 3/4 pipe, more pipe fittings, 3/4 to1'' gravel (gallon or so) pea gravel (1 1/2 gal) coarse aquarium gravel (15 +GAL) coarse crushed gravel (2 gal)

(2) Can with bulkhead and 6'' nipple for drain valve
(1) Two 2'' abs threaded fittings, 1 for return, 1 for cleaning (2'' end cap on cleanup bulkhead while filtering,swap it to return side when cleaning)
(3) Airlift manifold, sits on bottom and will have an air compressor to churn up gravel when cleaning
(4) 1/4 acrylic cover, drilled for water supply and air manifold, 1/4'' holes for water upflow, bioballs for support
(5) Assembled unit on bench ready to fill

large size gravel packed around edge of plate and can, pea gravel spread 2'' thick then all of aquarium gravel and crushed coral(CC is great for keeping ph levels even in freshwater,poo drags it down fast)
The 2'' end cap is a friction fit, you don't want to return all the muck to the pond when cleaning so move cap over to the return and water flows out to where ever you send waste water, while water is draining fire up the compressor and all the collected mess floats up and out, 2 minutes should do the trick, when water is running clear move 2'' cap back to the waste side and filtered water is sent back to the pond. Top off water and you have cleaned filter and done a water change.. easy peasy
When I pick up a compressor and the filter's a bit dirty Ill show some more pictures.
Any reasonable questions happily answered, "D" baggery will be held in check lol

Attachments

• 0527121115-00.jpg
    0527121115-00.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 0527121110-00.jpg
    0527121110-00.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 0527121116-01.jpg
    0527121116-01.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 0527121125-00.jpg
    0527121125-00.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0527121417-00.jpg
    0527121417-00.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 39

DaveK

Since you live up north, what do you do with the Koi in winter?

What happens if you fall into the pond? Would there be an ammonia spike? (grin)

Looks like a nice filtration system.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

What happens if you fall into the pond? Would there be an ammonia spike? (grin)

Looks like a nice filtration system.

lol Dave who in their right minds would leave family out side, this is an indoor pond.
there would be a huge dirt spike for sure but the filter can handle that
Thanks!

PIMPALA

Koi go dormant in the winter. i will stop feeding mine around october or so, then they hibernate, and wont eat again until spring when it warms up. even if the pond freezes, they just chill out and sleep.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Koi go dormant in the winter. i will stop feeding mine around october or so, then they hibernate, and wont eat again until spring when it warms up. even if the pond freezes, they just chill out and sleep.

I got hired one time to electrify a staircase to keep otters out of a pond, cattle prods pack a good punch lol, beside otters,herons,eagle,cats,racoons, local chucapacra's I keep mine indoors, no algae,leaves etc, Koi are very trusting when they are around people couldn't bare to leave them out

Builtschic

I got hired one time to electrify a staircase to keep otters out of a pond, cattle prods pack a good punch lol, beside otters,herons,eagle,cats,racoons, local chucapacra's I keep mine indoors, no algae,leaves etc, Koi are very trusting when they are around people couldn't bare to leave them out

Oh no.don't shatter my.hopes of having a koi pond outside

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
not for me, my Koi at 3 or 4 inches were $75 and up, like we say in the park... don't feed the bears