Just Great

NaH2O

Contributing Member
With LR from Key West, then you may have an O. havanensis. According to The Lurkers Guide to Stomatopods, "O. havanensis is common off the Florida Keys, but generally lives at 20 m + on open sand plains. "

Rogue or Curt - any thoughts?

RogueCorps

It's really hard to say. S-F, I'm not doubting that yours doesn't match the pictured Peacock mantis, but Peacock is the common name for Odontodactylus Scyllarus which is an Indo/Pacific species. These are commonly green to olive with some taking on more reddish/orange. Sometimes many... all? mantises are called peacocks. I recently saw a N. Wennerae misnamed as an O. Scyllarus at the Academy of Sciences - Steinhart Aquarium. I hope they liked my comment card. ;)

From florida rock see if you can tell if it has 4 sharp telson points and possibly a yellow/orange color at the eyes. If so it may be Neogonodactylus curacaoensis. The dacyl heels (hammers) will especially be blue also if it is. The color of these can actually be variable except for the hammers.

Dr. Roy says that these are common from 10-30m where light is mostly blue. Best kept in low light or given a dark den.

That's just a best guess though... posting the pics at Reef Cent-s mantis forum would be your best bet, if Dr. Roy should see it.

Still sounds like a cool one you've got. :)

-Rogue

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by RogueCorps
I recently saw a N. Wennerae misnamed as an O. Scyllarus at the Academy of Sciences - Steinhart Aquarium. I hope they liked my comment card.

I would have loved to see what they did with that comment card ;)

Great post, Rogue, as usual!

RogueCorps

Originally posted by RogueCorps
Sometimes many... all? mantises are called peacocks. I recently saw a N. Wennerae misnamed as an O. Scyllarus at the Academy of Sciences - Steinhart Aquarium. I hope they liked my comment card. ;)

Whoops... what I meant to say is that many are mistakenly called Peacocks, especially by retailers who are looking for a more appealing name to sell them by.

Nik, The Steinhart has lots of nice volunteers actually. She read it over and said, "thank you for that." :) They just closed down the Academy of Sciences Museums in Golden Gate Park this New Years. It's going to be strange. They're moving thousands of gallons of fish and animals to other facilities in downtown San Francisco while the old facilities are renovated for 2008. :(

-R :)

Curtswearing

Cool!!!

I missed this thread. Why don't you set up a species nano for it. They are a lot of fun. I could give you a link to a thread that has mantis care requirements but the site is down right now.

No, ignore that previous comment. This critter is dangerous and must be driven to St. Louis for ID'ing as soon as possible. :):):)

Take a look in my photo gallery for some BAD pic's of my O.s.

Originally posted by Curtswearing

No, ignore that previous comment. This critter is dangerous and must be driven to St. Louis for ID'ing as soon as possible. :):):)

Curt,

If you want him let me know. I could might be able to drive up there this weekend. Give me an excuse to drive up there. I need to get a couple of peppermint shrimp to help clean up some aipiastia (not spelled right).

Just let me know.

In order to keep him I know I am going to have to put sand in the 20 gallon. In order to put sand and new live rock and anything elses in the 20 that means no new lights, no new (anything) for the 55.

Right now I think I would like to concentrate on the 55. When I order more live rock for the 55, then I can set the 20 up for the hitchhiker I am almost postive I will recieve again.

Side note: I just pulled a very small white colored with two black dots out of the 55, he was attacking hermits too. This one is maybe 1.5 cm. I have no idea what this guys is. Why is all this life popping out now?

Curtswearing

It might even be a pistol shrimp.

Congrats on the having such Live Live rock. I got to run to a clients. I will send you a PM this evening.