JBJ 28 Gallon Reef Tank Question

race58

My Nano Cube is a 28 Gallon CF that I converted to LED with a Rapid LED kit. I also have the larger media basket from InTank and have a made that into a small version of a refugium. The tank is an established reef with 6 nano size fish and is over 3yrs old. I have a skimmer that I recently got I want to make use of but it's just a little too big to fit in one of the chambers. It's a Hydor SlimSkin Nano,, This one

I'm toying with the idea of removing one of the chamber walls so it will fit nicely but I'm not sure how that will effect the sump flow.

If I remove the chamber wall that is between the left 2 chambers looking from the front the skimmer will fit nicely front to back.
I'm wondering how that would effect the sump operation and if anybody has removed one before? The back side seem to be attached with silicone while the front side may be molded into the sump wall.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ed

bullet

I am not sure if this helps but we have just a small skimmer Sera Marin ps130 its a completely diff set up than you have but it fits in the first chamber of our 29 gal Biocube along with our heater

race58

Yes it is and the chambers in the sump are different sizes.
Knowing what I know now I would have gotten a different tank, still might if I can find something that would fit on the JBJ 28 stand.

Thanks

Newjack

I have a BioCube the middle chamber is just to add an extra filter media or stones for fresh water. That middle chamber does not fill up. If you remove it may not allow the pumps chamber to fill up enough to get good flow. I am sorta guessing this. You could always experiment with it. remove it and if it does not work glue it back in...

bullet

The middle chamber on our cube we are using as a refugium with just some cheato in it and its doing good

race58

Yes my middle chamber has an InTank basket and is used as a refugium as well.

I have decided to go with a HOB skimmer namely the Remora Nano.

Thanks
Ed

bullet

I took the intake basket out other than the carbon cartridge on the very top and the chaeto on the bottom that is all we have in there. I'm glad you found one that fits your needs. As I stated earlier we are new to this but it's amazing how the different manufacturers have made everything in dif sizes from pumps and skimmers lighting etc for tiny 2 and 3 gal systems to 125, 250, 500 gallon tanks. It just goes to show if you take the time to read and research you find something to fit your needs.

race58

I took the intake basket out other than the carbon cartridge on the very top and the chaeto on the bottom that is all we have in there. I'm glad you found one that fits your needs. As I stated earlier we are new to this but it's amazing how the different manufacturers have made everything in dif sizes from pumps and skimmers lighting etc for tiny 2 and 3 gal systems to 125, 250, 500 gallon tanks. It just goes to show if you take the time to read and research you find something to fit your needs.

What I have is a larger basket made by InTank for the Nano Cube, they have them for other tanks as well. I use it with a pad on top ChemiPure Elite in the middle and Cheato in the bottom of the basket. Look Here

race58

OK, I bought the newer Remora "S" and it looks great. Looks like it will fit on back perfect.
Only one minor issue is that I will have to adapt how the pump sits in the sump. Seems like with the existing tank pump in the left chamber (looking from the front) , that I may have to remove that pump and use only the right one for filtration.
Anybody ever run their 28 Gallon NanoCube on only one pump for the filter basket?

SeattleReefGuy

Well I'll post my two cents... The JBJ 28 Intermediate LED is what I'm looking at getting and it seems the best skimmer that will fit this tank or any JBJ 28 and keep its stock look (which is what I'm after) is the Tunze 9002, and InTank also sells a slim collection cup upgrade for the skimmer that doesn't "poke out over the top" of the back of the tank which is my pet peeve. All this being said this skimmer isn't the cheepest, that's for sure.

race58

Your right , thw Tunze works well as I found reading, but I wanted to keep my InTank media basket which I use as a refugium/filter.
The Remora "S" is the only one that fit the what I need and also fit behind the tank and in the left chambers (looking from front).

I will have it up and running by tomorrow, stay tuned.

SeattleReefGuy

Your right , thw Tunze works well as I found reading, but I wanted to keep my InTank media basket which I use as a refugium/filter.
The Remora "S" is the only one that fit the what I need and also fit behind the tank and in the left chambers (looking from front).

I will have it up and running by tomorrow, stay tuned.

Good to know, let us know what you think.

I hope the LED's on the JBJ that I want to purchase will be good enough for some corals... I'm thinking I can always add some down the road.