Japanese tank coral

Tarasco

Saw this in a thread about japanese tanks, was wondering if anyone knew what it was. Have fun!

Playa

I have seen them in the stores here very often. They are sold in Orange, Purple and the one in the picture. They are pretty inexpensive actually. Cluster of feather dusters. JMHO

:)

Tarasco

You guys are right, I think. Just after posting this I was flipping through Reef Invertebrates, by Calfo and Fenner, and they have a picture of something that looks extremely similar on page 166, and they call it Seafrost, Filograna and Filogranella species. I haven't been lucky enough to see any around here, especially not that brightly colored. Thanks for the info guys.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
The duster in question is on of the "social" or "colonial" dusters, often called cluster dusters. Some dusters, but no these, are connected by a root like system. This particular specimen is form the Southern Japan more than likely or associated waters. They are common to Australia, New Gunie, Phillipines, Indonesia and Red Sea. It is Filogranella elatensis

http://www.reefimages.com

Go to bottom of page, Invertscenes, tubeworms, page 7

tubes.jpg

Last edited:

Cougra

I have some dusters that look similar in my tank as well, but they don't cluster the same way! I would love for them to take over a rock like that! Nice pictures.