It's finally happening!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I'm finally getting stuff together for my new tank! I found out that I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, so I'm going for it.

I am going to be taking down my 50g reef and get a new tank to put on my existing stand and canopy. I will also be adding a sump into the system.

At first I was going to get a new 55g, and a 29g sump, but the plans fell thru, cause of weight issues and major stand mods being needed, then I was going to get a 50g, with an 18g tall sump, but the tank prices got jacked up, and my parents said they were thinking about moving. I was also thinking about draining my existing tank to have it drilled, but then realized that part of the reason for this was to get rid of the one with the small scratches, plus, the glass is too thin (a hair less than 1/4") to be drilled for this size tank, so says the guy who was going to do it for me.

Now, I have decided to get an AGA 55g, with the megaflow setup, and an 18g high sump.

So far, I have the sump, and the ViaAqua 3300 pump is on order, and should arive next week. I talked to the LFS owner, and he showed me that almost all of his displays use viaaqua pumps, and he is very happy with them. Tomorrow, I am going to the lfs to get the bulkheads that will fit to get the plumbing ready for when the tank arives, which should be around the 29th, unless I can find the funds before next payday:D, then it might be as early as tuesday.

I am going to DIY the plumbing rather than use the AGA kit, because it is about $50 for the standpipe and bulkheads, and I can do it for $40 including everything. I will attach diagrams later for input on my ideas for plumbing.

I am thinking about going BB, I will start out this way, but I also have about 40#'s of SD washed down to larger grain size (so no dust storm) on hand in case I don't like it (which I don't think I will, except for the maintenance part;) ). If I decide to add the sand, I will only have about 1/2"-1" depth.

As for the skimmer, I will continue to use my ViaAqua HOB on the main tank, until I can get the funds for an insump style skimmer.

Sorry for the long post:explode:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Here's a quickie paintbrush drawing of what I had in mind for the standpipe/return. Of course the return will have loc-line or pvc 45* elbows directing it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good for you! That's good you can build it yourself... save a bit of money to buy something else with ;)

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I've got some of the stuff already, just have to order the tank, bulkheads, and make a trip to Home Depot for the plumbing parts. I think I'm going to order the tank today, which will get it to me by Tuesday the 22nd.

While I have the tank down, I am going to reinforce the stand in the back with 4 1"x1" supports, and 1"x1" beams across the top of them, in place of where a back wall would be. There's nothing there now, but I have to drill holes in the plywood top, so I need some extra support in those areas.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Well, I went to the lfs to get prices and possibly order the tank, and the prices went up again since 2 weeks ago when I went to get a quote cause Island ang AGA merged together so that they weren't competing anymore. The owner even offered his cost plus the freight charge, but it was still too much. I'm not going to get a new tank, but I'm still gonna get a sump on there. I'm going back to my other idea of getting an external overflow.

I'm going to get one with dual drains, cause I don't trust these things, but I figure if one doesn't automatically restart, theres still the chance for the other.

Any recomendations on HOB overflow brands. LifeReef cost too much, otherwise I'd go that way.