Is this too much lighting on my BioCube 29g?

igoblox

So this my first nano reef. I have always loved MH lighting so I decided on the Oceanic 29g BioCube HQI, it has a 150w metal halide fixture.
After adding several coral and a couple of fish I realized..I have no actinic lighting with MH. In the past I had a FOLR tank and 60g reef both used CF lighting with the 50/50 actinic bulbs.
Initially I thought I could get away with just adding the R2 Moonlight 5 LED unit...I was sorely disappointed after recieving it. I dont know what spectrum it emits but everything looked very cyan-ish.
So luckily enough a know a friend and he got me the Fluval Full Spectrum Marine & Reef LED system (A3984) for $30, brand new. That was too good to pass up.
Using just the actinic I get the perfect actinic compliment.

Here is where I need a little advice....
If I use the Fluval LED system in full spectrum mode and my MH...is that too much light on my livestock?...specifically my coral

Having both turned on kind of spoiled me...when the LED is turned off and just the MH it looks so dark now :)

Here are some pics.....

Just the MH..
8981615101_3ef569b84d_c.jpg

MH with LED actinic..
8981618065_b158e23f22_c.jpg

MH and LED Full Spectrum....
8982810468_aa3b6cb8cc_c.jpg

Just LED actinic....
8981617621_9429e15efb_c.jpg

Here is pic of what the setup looks like...horrible. Need to find a better way to mount it...
8981614187_e30c0d5a8c_o.jpg

Last edited:

igoblox

Do you think algae will be an issue with that much light?
I just remember battling algae with CF back in the day.

lbiminiblue

I'm not sure IS algae an issue? It depends on what's really going on. Don't get worried about what it MIGHT do, only what is happening.

Blue Space

You should be fine. Just make sure to follow the usual light acclimation methods, placing new additions on the sandbed and slowly move them up to their desired spot. Nice looking BC29 btw... :D

Change Bulb to 20k if you want perfection. 150watt is perfect for that size. Just be sure to introduce corals slowly bottom-up. :girlthumb:

igoblox

I have been really contemplating a 20k bulb.

In the mean time...I have been running the actinic off the LED's an the halide for 6 of the 9 hrs of light.
During the last 3 hrs I have been turning the LED full spectrum and running the MH...corals seem to really like it.