Is this Pinched Mantle Synrome?

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I came home today to find the shell of my maxima fully open, but the mantel mostly inside. Yesterday, the mantel wasn't out all the way. Today it seems much worse, with the mantel almost curled up inside of the shell. I have some pictures, and any help would be appreciated.

Tank: 90 Gallon
pH: 8.0
SG: 1.026
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 2ppm
DKH:9
Calcium: 440 ppm
Temperature: 81º

Lighting: (2)48x3W Bridgelux dimable fixtures set to peak at 40%. Lights were upgraded on Friday, and the clam seemed indifferent. My second maxima is as happy as, well, a clam.

Well, never mind. As I was typing, the cleaner shrimp just swam over and started eating the thing. The clam is reacting in no way, and is now considered to be dead. Well, here are the pictures I took anyways, though I suppose at this point, they're a bit pointless. I guess the new question is this:

Do I leave the clam in as food for the CUC, or take it out. My skimmer is rated for 3X my gallonage, so I'm not worried about water quality.

Thanks everyone!

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

Happy clam six inches away:

DSC01151.jpg

Funlad3

Will do Matt; just needed to hear it from someone. So, how does one dispose of a dead clam? Sealed ziploc?

steved13

PREMIUM
:( Sorry Ben

FWIW It didn't look like pinched mantle, The way I've seen pinched mantle it starts at one end and the rest looks fairly normal, the one end looks "pinched".

Funlad3

Yeah, it looked pinched yesterday. Oops!

Thanks guys! I'd run it out to the compost pile out back for a week or so, but a thunderstorm just rolled in. Ziploc it is!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
no time to be squeemish, you need to open that clam up and check for pyrams,worms and other none clammy bits, sorry for the loss, clams are another thing I no longer keep

dmatt88

Kroger bag tied tite n trash.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

Funlad3

no time to be squeemish, you need to open that clam up and check for pyrams,worms and other none clammy bits, sorry for the loss, clams are another thing I no longer keep

D. None of the above. Upon closer inspection, one of the corners of the shell was completley missing. From that open side, parts of the tissue started to die off until the entire thing gave up and died. At least I know it couldn't have been saved via FW dip; I just have no idea what caused that issue....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
oh? thats right up there with the #1 clam killer... shipping and collecting crap, it could have been crack for some time and the bacteria just worked its way in