Is my cucumber too big

Basile

Hi guys i have a bit of a dilema here i have a cucumber i bought he's very nice its a tiger tail, but its one foot long.....in my 150G . Someone made the remark that if he goes he could take my tank with it. Should i exchange it with some one with a bigger tank, just in case he starve in mine or do you have other options you can think of . I have another cucumber in there as well didn't expect that one to be that long when i bought it he was kinda in a ball sort of speak.

Oxylebius

Sea Apples are more toxic then most cucumbers. But, it depends on what type of cucumber you have. I'm not sure what type you have.

From this article: Aquarium Invertebrates: Sea Cucumbers - Part II

So Which Cucumbers Are Safe For A Reef Tank?

Well, to recap what we’ve learned so far, different species tend to have different specific sets of chemical defenses, and those chemicals tend to have different effects on different potential predators. So, obviously it is virtually impossible to make any real generalizations about the specific toxicity of a given species of sea cucumber or how their chemical defense is likely to impact your reef tank. In general, it is probably reasonable to say that sand-feeding turd cukes are less toxic than the colorful filter feeders, or more specifically, the concentrations and variety of toxic chemicals found in the Aspidochirotiacea – the group that contains the sand-feeding cucumbers – is generally lower than those of the Dendrochirotacea – the group that contains most of the colorful suspension feeding cucumbers (Paul 1992; Pawlik 1993). However, there are plenty of exceptions to that generalization, and the fact that there is a strong behavioral component makes it impossible to predict the effect of any given cucumber in any given tank when something particular happens. Ultimately, the real question that most likely matters to you is not which sea cucumbers are more or less toxic, but rather how much of a risk is some particular sea cucumber to the rest of the critters in your tank.

Other articles of interest:
Good read: Sea Cucumbers: Nature's Calcium Reactor?
Aquarium Invertebrates: Sea Apples

Hopefully this is helpful for decision making, but definitely informative. Can you take it back and get a smaller one?

Basile

Ok well according to some , Tiger tail and Caribbean ones won't take a tank down , they say its a net myth. And thats the one i have ; this by the way how he looked when i bought it 2 weeks ago. But now , he makes almost the whole side panel 24" minus the rockwork, its 12"

Photo350-1.jpg

But they also say that a foot long cucumber for an 8 weeks tank is too big. I didn't know he was that big. Like i said he was like in a ball sort of no more that 3-4 inch, and he then stretched out. I've already contacted the seller and he said he has smaller ones he can exchange for . Nice seacucumber Paul lol Did you run downstairs to make that shot just for me LOL , or you have that one in reserve lol.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My tiger tail split himself in half, he was about 15-16" in my 120. Now I have two healthy small ones. I was surprised he split but he did

Paul B

lol Did you run downstairs to make that shot just for me LOL , or you have that one in reserve

I could fill the library of congress with the pictures I have, but most of them are on film, which is like Scotch tape but pictures stick to it