intro to my reef

reefranger

hello, i just joined today. so far i love the site and i look foward to seeing the rest of it. ive lots of questions for the experienced aquarists.my setup is a six month old, 55 gallon reef. currently in the process of designing a sump, skimmer, algae scrubber and many other components. actual display tank will become tubless and wireless. right now it is picture framed in my dining room wall. :makefun:

SZHTTM

Yes, welcome aboard!!!!!!!

I think you are really going to like here!! Everyone here is extreamly friendly and especially helpful!! They have some great suggestions too when you want them.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
:thumber:

reefranger

reef safe puffer?

SZHTTM said:
Yes, welcome aboard!!!!!!!

I think you are really going to like here!! Everyone here is extreamly friendly and especially helpful!! They have some great suggestions too when you want them.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
I am going to aclimate an asian green spot puffer into my reef aquarium from a brackish tank. I did this in n.y. in the mid 90's before i moved to fl. were i am now and the puffer not only loved it but never touched my corals.

Gina

RS STAFF
:hallo: and :welcomera to our Sanctuary!

Don't forget to check out our Knowledgebase for some great info on DIY guides!

reefranger

Sorry, i have not been here for a while but i will from now on. I was away in New orleans helping out, then recently to Texas to help them out with the wildfire situations over there. Since last i wrote, i have learned a lot about my reef. things went down hill at one piont but now it is doing great. To give you an idea of some of the bad things that happened: I got a hippo tang that got stressed and got a disease, like an idiot i paniced and put an antibiotic in the tank thus killing my LSB. Second, my home made setup did not workout well and my reef collected a lot of detritus. NOW! - after much trial and error, and lots of brain cells lost from thinking and studying so hard i finally i finally got it! I took time off from work and just dedicated my time to my reef. I redesigned my overflow, my protien skimmer, my sump, and created a raised platform that suspends my live rock reef a half inch to an inch over my LSB.
currents now flow across my LSB - no more dead spots. I built two countercurrent protien skimmers and two venturi driven. all produced foam by-product but i was not satisfied with there consistency. The end result is a see-thru countercurrent protien skimmer with a 43 and a half inch reaction chamber - works great! now i just need to re-seed by LSB.
I have many questions for other aquarists.

SZHTTM

reefranger said:
I was away in New orleans helping out, then recently to Texas to help them out with the wildfire situations over there.

What do you do?

Sounds like the reef is off and running again!!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;

wickjr

Welcome to the site Reefranger. I am pretty new here myself, but have found everyone to be helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I'll be in your area not long from now. Any cool fish stores or similar places I should check out while I'm there? I travel to the Sarasota, Tampa area pretty frequently, so I'm somewhat fimiliar with the area. Usually stay aroung Longboat Key, Siesta Key, but I get around a little bit, whether fishing or taking my wife to spend some money.