Impulse buy!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK Start Yelling....:(

I bought a spotted hawkfish the other day and i have recently heard that they eat shrimp!!!! Is this all shrimp or just small ones? Thanks in advance

I know....research before you buy....i'm stil young and stupid

DICK

We have all been guilty of this one way or the other. I got married without researching her first and it almost cost me my sanity, not to mention my life:( :jester:
I once bought two peppermints and when I put them in the tank they were destroyed before they hit bottom by a Six-lined wrasse I had.
We live and learn, I hope

wooddood

the wood dude
i'll have to agree with dick we've all done it at one time or another.has cost me quite a bit though.in the wallet.lol.

ReefLady

Staff member
Yup, we're all guilty, and until we all set up quarantine and hospital tanks and wash our hands before and after putting them into our tanks, among other things, we're not perfect.

However, in answer to your question, your hawkfish will most likely kill any shrimp in the tank with it.

Travis

Maxx

OK Start Yelling
you're fired. Empty out your desk and go home.
Happy now?
:D
I bought a spotted hawkfish the other day and i have recently heard that they eat shrimp!!!! Is this all shrimp or just small ones?
not knocking Travis here, but my experiances are slightly different. I have noticed that most Hawks will eat what ever they can, but will generally leave the ones that dont fit in their mouth alone. So if your shrimp are larger than the Hawk can handle, you should be fine...short term. Its gonna get larger, and then all bets are off...
If ya gotta have shrimp in the tank, I reccommend taking the Hawk back, or putting it in a different aquarium. Just my opinion.
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
You're fired Nick, go home. LOL :)

I'm not surprised experiences will differ, but I've heard stories of small hawkfish grabbing shrimp and bashing them to pieces up against the rockwork. Ouch. :)

Maxx

now that you mention that, I remember seeing that too....
yup he's screwed...lol
Jk...Hawks are a neat fish PSU...might wanna consider a long nose in a reef, I've seen those in the company of shrimp in a reef tank, (don't know how well fed the Hawk was..I'm assuming that it was pretty fat and happy. The fact that they were cleaner shrimp probably didnt hurt either...)
Or maybe keeping a flame hawk in a FOWLR or a FO tank.
Nick

wooddood

the wood dude
you guys kill me,but good info to know because i was thinking about getting on too,saw one today but did'nt buy it because i wanted to wait till i moved my tank in wall,see guys another lesson learned the hard way.sorry psu4me take em back.