I can't decide? Do I want a 24 or 30 tall tank?

cracker

As some of You know the old 220 developed a leak. It's all empty and ready to go out the door this weekend.
I'm having the hardest time deciding if I want another 220 which is 30 tall or the 180 which is 24 tall. other than the fact I can barely reach the bottom and a little bigger water changes the 30 tall just looks better and there is more room in there. what other factors am I missing? Thank's

mr_tap_water

Hi there
My tank at the moment is 30 inches deep, The things I would so you need to take into account is if you're going to have corals you will need a lighting system strong enough to be able to reach the bottom also Rock displays I found I had to build higher then normal so that means you need to buy more rock as well, also reaching the bottom you will need a small step ladder or a chair but is still awkward to get into the far corners, The good points is it does give you a nice viewing point Plus extra volume of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

that one factor. I'm I willing to climb up and down a stepladder any longer. I'm not as spry as I used to be. I just may want a fish dominant tank if so I want the taller tank and want to leave my options open. There is one thing I must have . I want to walk up and look into the tank not bend down . So the shorter tank will take away from that. I have a taller stand already and would need to make it even taller . for this reason so a ladder is already in the mix. I have the lighting circulation and rock needed already. :dunno::dunno:
Anyway thanks for acting as 3rd party arbitrator for the argument going on with myself !

Squatch XXL

Im finishing up a 24" tank. I am still up in the air about building a stand/water change station out of leftover lumbers. I don't wear deodorant, but the fish surely won't appreciate that either. I hated my 20", and I have average ape sized arms.

Its well worth the effort to have some sort of easy-access....ladder or otherwise.

DaveK

that one factor. I'm I willing to climb up and down a stepladder any longer. I'm not as spry as I used to be. I just may want a fish dominant tank if so I want the taller tank and want to leave my options open. There is one thing I must have . I want to walk up and look into the tank not bend down . So the shorter tank will take away from that. I have a taller stand already and would need to make it even taller . for this reason so a ladder is already in the mix. I have the lighting circulation and rock needed already. :dunno::dunno:
Anyway thanks for acting as 3rd party arbitrator for the argument going on with myself !

I'll add one other thought. What will you do when you not spry enough to climb up and down a ladder safely?

For myself I'm getting older, and my body is starting to tell me that there are not too many more years where I can do that.

cracker

That's a very good point. I struggled getting a couple of 20,lb plus rocks off the bottom and out of the tank. it wasn't 3 minutes ago I said what the hey I'm getting the 30 tall ! here it is 10 mins later I'm back to I can't decide! LOL

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you were going fish only then the 30" tall makes sense but not for a reef. I haven't heard anyone say they ever enjoyed it. lights need to penetrate further (cooking corals up top) etc etc. 24" it is, decision by committee!!!

mr_tap_water

To add from what I said earlier ,To give you some idea what a 30 inch tall tank looks like with fish in it ,here's mine it's not as hard as some people may think, A good pair of tongs is a must and makes life a lot more easier.

44c0396fa36eb6052d1bdf3b00ee88a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

Ok Folks, It's the 180 That's it final ! I'll have to make the stand a little taller but that's about it. The in tank circulation will be better, My 40 gl water changes will be more effective and reaching the bottom will be simplified. I gotta think about the future. In 10 years I'm not going to want to work too hard ! I can still have plenty of cool fishes etc. Thanks again for allowing me to get outside insight on this.
Wonder what my next dilemma will be? :dunno: