How to catch a hitchhiker crab

Gumby

A friend of mine told me this trick after i used the inverted bottle to no avail on several occasions and I want to share this with everyone.

items needed:

1 - 6" pice of stocking (i use the toe end and measure out)
4 - toothpicks

1 pc - shrimp, mussel, fish or whatever bait you want to use

At the open end of the stocking, poke the toothpicks thru the stocking. do this with the other pieces so that you have created a permanent opening into the toe of the stocking.

put your bait in thru the permanent opening and all the way to the back end of th stocking and put your trap into the tank.

situate the opening of trap as close to where you think the bad crab lives. i did this right at the time my lights turned off for the night.

And then in the morning before i went to work, i checked the trap and i had: 1 bad hitchhiker crab and a bunch of others in the trap.

have a good day everyone.

james

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Do you have any pics of this trap? It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure I understand how the opening is set up.

Gumby

i dont have any pics.

you can really set the opening up any way you want as long as it stays open when at rest in the tank. i actually pushed the opening into the sand a bit to keep it from falling down (my opening was standing strait up in the tank).

SaltyQueen

I have heard of people having success in catching hitchiker mantis shrimp this way, except with a mantis, you don't need to prop the stocking open. With their pincers, they'll try to grab the shrimp & their claws get stuck in the stocking. Definitely something to keep in mind should you ever receive any unwanted guests in your tank!

jks1

I can picture this as well, we used to use stockings when diving for lobsters and they get caught up in the fine mesh and you can pull them right out.