How many fish - under current conditions

newsalt

I have a 15g high tank that has been running since before Christmas. You can see from my profile below what I have in the tank now (LR, etc.). The fish now seem great. All swimming and getting along. Water parameters are fine too: Ammonia - 0ppm, Nitrite - 0ppm, Nitrate - 25ppm. With the exception of some snails and hermits, this is a FOWLR tank. I do a 2 gallon water change every other week. Occasionally (once a week give or take), I may also siphon out about 1/2 gal to remove the Coral Beauty poop. I was at Petco today and saw these great looking Pajama Cardinals at a good price, $10.99 ea. I thought it would be great to have two of those. The seem peaceful and don't need alot of swimming room. Am I really max. out on fish in my tank under the current conditions? No way to add these two little cardinals? For the record, I'm switching to a 50g in the spring. Maybe I should just wait, but at that price, it's hard. If I did get the cardinals now, when I got the 50g, I would probably only add 3 blue-green chromis and a cleaner shrimp.

Thanks for your input.

Gina

RS STAFF
If you are going to be upgrading to a larger tank in the spring, I would just wait till you switch to a bigger tank. Only for the reason that their may be some aggression from the other fish and a 15g high doesn't give the fish alot of room to escape.
Just my .02.

caja

You'd really be pushing the bioload with adding two more fish. It's not so much the swimming room needed for the cardinals as they do tend to just hover in one place (altho the aggression and lack of room for escape is a possibility), but it's the waste produced that will cause a problem. I'd wait till you upgrade.

Maxx

Gota agree w/ the ladies....You're pretty full on fish right now. In fact some people would say that you are over it. I would wait until the upgrade comes through before adding anymore fish.
Nick

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yeah gaubow it is frustrating when you really know you should not put any more fish in that size of a tank and hoping people here might say it's ok but it's for the good of your present fish and save you a disaster down the road and maybe lose what you have now.

Are there plans for a bigger tank in the near future?:)

Craig Manoukian

OK gaubow you can use me as a punching bag! Absolutely no more fish until you upgrade.:D See , we are all against ya! ;) Tough to be patient, go slow, and let it grow ain't it?:columbo:

:) :cool: :p :smirk: