How big will a clown fish be when it reaches maturity?

Cantra

my clown fish are about an inch long and I was wondering how big they would be when they reached maturity and how big they will grow to be.

michael_cb_125

It all depends on what species you have, feeding habits, health, etc.

It is very hard to give an exact adult size, and obviously all fish are different, just as all humans do not have the same adult size.

For example, I have a True Percula that is 3 years old and under an inch long. :)

~Michael

jjohnson3

a nemo could refer to a True or False percula clownfish. Nemo was a False Percula Clownfish. :) They reach right at 3.5 inches when fully grown. :) What type of clown? All are different. My marron clowns will reach 6''. The female gets 6'' and the male will barely reach 2-2.5 inches from what I read.

Mya

Hey Jay,
This might sound dumb and I could easily be wrong since the LFS is usually full of poo... but... I heard... that a clown doesnt usually grow unless you have another clown in there with it... Like they both try to out grow each other so they can be the female? Iunno..
Ever heard that? True statement or false?

clowns do grow depending on the species of them and as for mya's saying it may be true due to the fact a clown will only turn female when it is the dominant fish in the tank or ocean.

Thomas

michael_cb_125

The growth rates may be accelerated if more than one are in the same tank, but I dont think they will totally stop growing when isolated.

~Michael

r2d2

I read once in a book that on a clowns colony, only dominant becomes a female and a second dominant is male, all others stay as a juveniles. When female is gone (any reason) the male becomes a female and a dominant juvenile becomes a new male, and so on.
All clowns are born as males but dont develope until they are on a dominant position.

Mya

Well I know whoever is bigger is the female but I kinda think it might be true about the growing thing cause my blk clown was tiny forever it seemed. Then I got 2 larger maroon clowns and now suddenly hes somewhere in the middle between the maroons. I am certain the larger maroon is a female... she pms's like one.. and the other maroon is a male.. but I think my blk clown is now sexually confused...

jjohnson3

Hey Mya, I could see why the clowns would stop growing...there is no competition so why should they? They will be the same sex anyway, if they grow or not. This means that a 5 year old clown that was kept singly could only be an inch long and a clown of the same variety could be 5 years old and kept with a mate at 3 inches long I guess...Fish are so confusing...If they eat and seem happy, I dont worry about it very much...lol. I saw on here today that somebody was keeping a clown like this that hasn't grown in forever...

Edit: That somebody is the topic starter of this thread...lol. I feel dumb!!!!!!