HELP! Help

Jerrycobos

I bought this guy a week ago not knowing much. I'm new to the salt water world. Can you guys tell me if it is dying??? I came home and it had shriveled up like this. Also if anyone knows how to get rid of this red rusty algae stuff
83d3cdac4bbaba05dff05c54f7298d6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DaveK

That looks extremely bad, I doubt it will survive, but once and a very great while you get lucky. If you want to check it further, you can give it the smell test. Take it out of the water and smell it. A normal anemone will smell bad, a dead one will smell really foul and nasty. Obviously, it that is the case, discard it.

Anemones requite well established tank, very stable water conditions, and excellent lighting. To get a tank well established means waiting about a year before you even consider an anemone.

The red rusty algae is usually a cyano outbreak. This is common in new tanks, and keeping nitrates and phosphates low will go a long way toward getting rid of it.

Jerrycobos

Thank you so much for your advice. This morning when I woke up he was almost a grey ball of mush and I removed him right away. I should of done some research on them before I bought him, but Petco just said he would do great with my clown fish. I have a whole lot of learning to do for this type of hobby and am eager to learn!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Uncle99

Good move!
Dead Nems are bad news.

I have found its not the age of the tank rather the stability of the water and level of the 5 parameters ( fish only) or additional 3 for Stoney corals.

That being said, age does have some to do with keeping a stable environment. I have been just as successful in adding at three months as nine months, nem like stable waters.

Looks like diatoms on the sand to me, manage all 8'water parameters and they will pass when the bacteria that consumes them is available in sufficient quantities.

Absolutely normal!