Help with Durso?

Icebox

I need help with my durso. Does anyone have experience with these?

I have a 1-inch bulkhead, drilled in the bottom of the tank. I built a Durso using 3/2-inch pipe. I ran the pipe out of the bulkhead down to the sump with a 1-inch pipe. That pipe is about an inch under water, and it just sits there and gurgles away. It is so so so loud it sounds like a gurgling brook in my bedroom.

My question becomes this. Has anyone modified a durso to make the water entering the tank quieter?

I had the 1-inch pipe entering the tank almost all the way to the bottom, but then it kept with the flushing effect. So I kept cutting that off, and now it is just beneath the water level and still doing it. So I drilled the hole in the top a little bigger, and bigger and bigger, and almost up to a 1/4 inch hole, and then I drilled another hole, and it got bigger and bigger, and then I drilled a 3rd hole. Well the flushing level changing action in the overflow has stopped but all that air that is getting sucked through makes 1 awful noise when entering the sump.

I was thinking that I would put a 90-degree bend at the bottom (just beneath the water level in the sump and a small straight piece to try to kelp cut down on the noise? Do you think it would work? Or how about a U at the bottom?

I am at a loss, any help would be appreciated…

Pro_builder

Put an air valve in the top of the Durso, where you have the holes, then put a short piece of tubing on the valve, this will stop the whistling noise that you get. Here is a picture of my setup. Very quite.
HTH

Pro_builder

I also run my drain to the sump on a 45* angle and stop it right below the water line, in the sump. This also seems to help with the splashing and bubbling noise. The air is pushed out the end of the drain tube and doesn't build up and bubble out.
JMO

Icebox

PB, that second one sounds like the winner. I will try that and see what happens, thanks for your help. :) I will let you know how it goes.

Icebox

scooterman, the noise I am getting is where the water enter the sump.
I am having a lot of air buildup in the pipe before it gets pushed out, which buble buble buble drives me nuts.

I think the drain is great. It is very quiet up top.

Scooterman

Yea then you ned that setup as pro posted, this allows the air to bleed off before going way down there.