Help small snail's on clam

Barry N.

Sponsor
these snails can also host on astrea snails

You are correct. :) Didn't think about that as I do not have astrea snails in my holding tanks. In one of my customers tank we found several in the empty shells of hermit and astrea snail .

ScottT1980

Oops, just noticed that RA immediatly noted that they could also be found on astreas...

Either way Mstt, it might be a good idea to remove any astreas that you may have as well (I didn't remember seeing any but it is hard to notice snails with everything else you have in your tank ;))

Maxx

Mattie,
Please keep us posted on how this turns out. This is good info to have. I'm sorry that you're having to deal w/ it though.
Nick

mattie

RS Sponsor
got up early today to check things out with the lights out and found a few 2-4 snails on the clams 2 on a mexican turbo and 3-4 surfing the glass... i am setting up the q-tank this week and remove all the snails for an unknown amount of time

okay what about limpets.....somatella snails these things are in aboundace and would be a real pain in the a$$ to remove do ya think the snail's would be hosting on them as well

mattie

RS Sponsor
UPDATE!! :)
well after a week things are looking good
removed all the snails i had 14 astrea and 1 mexican and replaced them with some hemits. some of the snail's did have the parasite snails on them...
every morning before the lights come on i inspect the clams i am still finding about 1 a day and I am really shocked at how small they can be alot of them are this small , no joke super small white baby snails...
the great news is the clams look great just to say a scary number since the first one i have probably pulled 30+ off the clams and about 5-10 off the glass....
i fell very fortunate that i was given some good advice on this problem
Thanks Barry

ScottT1980

Good news Matt, hopefully everything will be taken care of within the next month or so...

Take er easy
Scott T.

mattie

RS Sponsor
clam Q-tank

I thought I would share a pic of my new Nano clam-frag tank
thanks scott for the lend of the 10G
the clams look healthy but somehow I am still finding a snail or 2 every few days the are illuminated with 1 65w 10k and 1 65w actinc a pair of powerheads a HOB filter and a kalk drip i have been putting a little phtyo in there a piece of lr from my fuge and made some frags so it's clam and sps filtered :D
why waste the light and the setup
and thanks again barry I think you saved me...my next clam purchase will be thru you ;)

mattie

RS Sponsor
holly sh!".... that is bad mine wasn't that bad but i am still finding some that are super super small hidden in the folds of the shell so I am just waiting untill a week or 2 goes by with out me being able to find 1.. i am happy the clams seem okay in my q-tank

I think this is a very important topic for people to be aware of!!

Barry N.

Sponsor
That is why I wanted to post that as it is VERY important that people check their clams closely. It takes us hours to check 100-200 clams before we place them in our q-tanks.