Hello All!

Virginia-Ron

Hello All,

My wife and I are very interested in beginning a reef aquarium. We have had a successful 75G freshwater tank for a number of years. We would like to have a 92G corner unit. The overall initial cost is kind of blowing us away. Estimates are running around $40/gal to do things right.

Anyhow The "Reef Sanctuary" site looks like a good place to seek advice and ideas. :)

Virginia-Ron

Witfull

welcome to RS

initial cost can be chunky, but its better to spend once on good equipment than to go cheap and have to buy the expensive goodstuff anyway.

PS-post 6000!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
PS-post 6000!!

Congrats Wit :thumbup:

Welcome to RS Virginia-Ron :)

What type of lighting are you planning to use ? Are you going to use a canopy ? The lighting setup can be tricky to setup with a corner tank especially if your going to use a Hood.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Santuary!! Having a marine aquarium is very rewarding but has it's challenges too... It keeps my restless brain busy! LOL

mps9506

Be sure to take advantage of sponsor specials and used equipment that pops up online. Great way to save money.
But yes, try to do it right the first time, it will save you money in the long run. Don't be afraid to write out what you plan on building and keeping. Then post it, we will help you out by telling you all about our past mistakes, and everyone here has made em. Best way to save money IMO.

Cougra

Starting up and maintaining a saltwater tank is expensive. Like people have mentioned it's best if you take your time and get really good equipment from the start instead of having to try to peice things together after there is water in the tank.

Setting up a saltwater tank is different the setting up a freshwater tank and there aren't many peices of equipment that can be moved over from type of system to the other, especially if you want to keep some of the more delicate corals.

The best way to start is to get a couple good books such as:

The Conscienctious Marine Aquarist By Robert Fenner
Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman
New Marine Aquarium by Micheal Palletta

Virginia-Ron

I appreciate all of the advice. I have spoken to at least 5 LFS. One LFS in Leesburg VA has convince us that a 90 gal std aquarium would be easier and a bit cheaper because of the lighting requirements. I will continue to re-visit the LFS and continue reading both RS and books. I would rather wait to purchase the right equipment than make a mistake and try to do it on the cheap.

Thanks Everyone/Virginia Ron