Halimeda killer here

Basile

I have a nice refugium , 75 G display with lots of nice macro's , 37 species in fact and everybody in their own fields have a nemesis of some sort.

Well mine is the Halimeda type of macro's. I seem to have a nack at erradicating them, slowly but surely. They never prosper they stagnate, they turn black, on me, turn white on me, turn red on me, then die on me.

But they never grow , certainly not on me nor in my tank. And i hear by some , oh they're so easy they grow like crazy, i just want to choke these people..lol

So , if any of you have a good crop,what exactly do you do. I read what everybody reads, calcium, maybe i have it to high, i don't know what's the problem, but , now i have a sampler;

Mermaid's Fan, Shaving Brush, Pine Cone and various Halimeda species. Which i've decide to give it a try AGAIN!!

So i'm ready for some pointers, GO! and thank you.

My refugium;

Photo403-1.jpg

I write big for my iphone friends.

63938_882084685137274_1247587967764705743_n.jpg

DaveK

I wish I had a good answer for you. Halimeda is my tank does really well, but I'm not that fond of the algae, so I end up removing a lot of it. I will say that it likes a calcium rich environment and it can extract a lot of calcium from the water. I would think it would love your refugium.

The other thing you'll see in this hobby is that everyone always seems to have those one or two things they just can't get to survive in their tanks no matter what they do, and whatever it is, the livestock always seems to be on the "very easy - recommended for beginners" list. (grin)

Choff

Basie, that's a beauty of a fuge! I'm trying to the same thing, but failing hard. I'm afraid my system is just too low in nutrients to support it, but I'm still giving it a go. What lights are you running?

Dave, that is so true. For me it's wellso's!

Basile

Basie, that's a beauty of a fuge! I'm trying to the same thing, but failing hard. I'm afraid my system is just too low in nutrients to support it, but I'm still giving it a go. What lights are you running?

Dave, that is so true. For me it's wellso's!

Ok a few tips when you keep lots of differents algaes you need to dose a few chemical supplements because lots of algaes are more demanding than the chaeto and the caulerpas. Especially in large volumes.

Here they are;

This one is good if your nitrates and phosphates are too low, and it doesn't contribute to nitrates and phosphate build ups.

19283_1.jpg

This is the one i dose every day, its a catalyst for your other chemicals and for the nitrates and phosphates to enter and interracted with the algaes. I dose it every day because its absorbed within 35 min and no amount disturbs the other inhabitants, not the fish , corals, or inverts of the tank. Don't really need to test NO TEST ON THE MARKET is sensitive enough to detect are levels of iron. You can tell by the size i buy i much i dose, the water become couldy for a few hours no biggy.

seachem-flourish-iron.jpg

This one being the least important it can be the one that saves the most difficult algaes.

p-438530-79588R-free.jpg

Iodine is another one, but be very carefull with that one. Although i use this one because its also good for cleaning and dipping i recommend using a diluted one for dosing, kent make another for dosing even better with less risk, this is the pure stuff and mistake can be made with that.

15623.jpg

DO NOT dose without testing, or testers before using those things.​