HELP! Green button polyps growing like weeds

Rick76

Over the past month or two my tank is slowly be overrun by green button polyps. I was just going to remove them, however I did some reading first.

I had no idea these could be poisonous - Palythoa Toxica Poisoning. I have no problem wearing gloves and eye protection etc + removing the rock to clean it. However I have two questions. I have seen some threads showing once you put the rock back in it can cause a tank crash due to left over toxin. Also what is the best way to clean them from the tank?

They are starting to encroach on all my corals + I was going to schedule a minor aquascape change - therefore I thought it was perfect timing to try and thin them out.

Any help would be appreciated

b4c9ebd71a8615bf9a67883c51ba5e57.jpg
65abd48c51b3a5529a91c2b8ae272132.jpg

Oxylebius

There is some very good advice here on safe handling practices: http://masna.org/masna-education/palytoxin/ Good Luck!

Safe Handling Practices
In addition to wearing long gloves and eye protection, a face mask is advisable to avoid breathing in palytoxin in the event that it becomes aerosolized. Rather than boiling rock for reuse, soak rock and coral in 10% bleach for thirty minutes to adequately kill any remaining zoanthids and neutralize any remaining palytoxin (CDC, Lowes 2015).

If possible, clean rock outside, but if that is not possible and live rock must be handled in an enclosed space, open windows and run a fan for adequate ventilation. Do not pressure wash them or use a band-saw on zoanthid containing rock, as this can aerosolize palytoxin as well (Sprung 2015). When treating zoanthids that are overgrown with hair algae, keep the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) dip short. Leaving the animals in the solution too long or at too high of a concentration will cause a release of palytoxin as a local fish store in Colorado can attest (Anecdote).

There are no best practices or official evidence-based handling guidelines according to the CDC as research still needs to be done (Hamade 2015). While laboratory levels of safety are not financially feasible for the average reefkeeper, following as many CDC guidelines for handling toxins of biological origin as possible should minimize hazardous incidents (PDF link). Keep any water that has contained zoanthids away from pets and children, as ingestion of palytoxin can be fatal. Gloves are even more critical if you have any open wounds as injection of palytoxin directly into the bloodstream can be fatal if not treated. Once you are finished cleaning and/or defragging rock, wash your gloves in the sink before removing them and wash your eye protection once your gloves are safely removed (Groseclose 2015).

If you exhibit symptoms of palytoxin exposure after handling rock, coral and water from your tank, take yourself to an emergency room immediately. To better assist doctors, print out some of the following publicly available resources regarding palytoxins so they can make the best decisions possible in your health care.

In Conclusion

There are three genera of Zoanthids that are known to contain varying concentrations of palytoxins: Zoanthus sp., Palythoa sp., and Protopalythoa. There are no home tests to determine if a specimen contains palytoxins until symptoms appear after exposure. If you have these animals in your reef tank, be aware of the danger they pose and handle them with care and admire their color from the other side of the acrylic or glass.

Summary
  • Palytoxin exposure can occur through ingestion of animals that have eaten zoanthids, inhalation of vapor containing palytoxin, or through physical contact of skin with the corals
  • Seek medical attention immediately if you develop flu like symptoms within a few hours of handling coral, live rock, or cleaning your aquarium
  • Exercise caution and assume your live rock has palytoxin producing zoanthids, always use proper protective equipment such as goggles, long gloves and a face mask when rearranging and cleaning your tank.
  • If possible, handle any possible zoanthids with tongs to avoid contact with potential palytoxin containing slime.
  • Clean your gloves first before removing them, then goggles and mask

Rick76

Hi Oxylebius,
Thanks for the link and advice. These came in as hitchhikers on a zoo island. I wish I had blitzed them then!

I cannot believe how fast they grow! Also I'm glad I looked on some forums before tackling them.

My hazmat suit is on hand!

Thanks again

Rick

Oxylebius

Have you tackled them yet?

Here is a good video of one person's experience. It is over a half hour long talk, but fully worth it to watch it to the end.

Rick76

Polyps all gone! After watching lots of videos the easiest way to remove them was to remove all the rock they were present on. The large chunks that I could remove came out of the tank and using a hammer and chisel the top layer of rock was removed. Now it's time to put it all back together. [emoji16]

Rick76

No reaction to polyps! (Thankfully!)
I am genuinely relieved I looked it up before I started. The rest of the family were out when I did it - good job really as I was also dressed up in gloves, goggles and a face mask... not a pretty sight!