green algea

drevel8

ok guys.. i have been doing frequent water changes and doing things that the local saltwater supply store has told me and i still cannot get rid of this green grass looking algea that is slowly taking over my tank. it started on some of the live rock and now has seemed to engulf a big portion of the rock as well as the walls of the tank. i just recently cleaned all the walls but it seems pretty stuck on the rock. i have done several water changes and it actually has gotten worse i think since i have done that...
what do i do? i have thought about taking out the rock and cleaning it but im sure that cant be good idea. anyways anyone help me in this situation before i have a tank full of green grass???
thanks guys

Varga

do you have algae eating animals? are you using RO/DI water? use phosphate romovers? do a search on this site and you'll find all sorts of info. good luck

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
First you must understand what the nusiance algae loves; nitrates and phosphates.
Next, you must eliminate or at least significantly reduce both.

Most tap water sources have a lot of nitrates and phosphates. So a water change using tap usually just adds 'fuel' for the algae. :rolleyes: Make sure you're using ro/di water for all water changes and the daily fresh water top offs (to replace evaporated water).

Flake/pellet foods are very high in phosphates so do not overfeed and soak them first in a glass of ro/di water and rinse before feeding.

Over stocking with too many fish, overfeeding, dirty filters, etc. will contribute to high nitrate levels. Using ro/di, make frequent water changes to keep the trAtes at 10ppm or less.

Get a phosphate and nitrate test kit and keep a close eye on your water's levels. Test both your tap and tank water to know what you're dealing with. Shoot for zero ppm phosphates and 10ppm or less of nitrates.

A few great ways to export po4 and nitrates:
  • Add phosban or rowaphos (red granular) phosphate absorbing media and keep replacing it as needed.
  • Add macro algae such as chaetomorpha in a sump/refugium with a light. As it grows, it absorbs both nitrates and phosphates from the water.
  • Purchase a quality skimmer. It will remove organics very effectively.
  • Lots of water changes (using ro/di water).
  • Add a clean up crew that specifically will eat the hair algae. There are some snails (turbo), hermits (scarlets), and nudibranches (sea hare) that love eating it!

Tru2nr

yeah i had that problem after runnin my tank for 6months without a ro/di system inhouse :smck: but there is good news you can bounce back thats for sure i would def get an army of turbo snails and hermit crabs get a baby emerald crab to...not sure if they all will but mine didn't leave any traces of hair algae on a rock that it was cleaning but u want to remove them when they get to big otherwise they will start eating corals(we moved godzilla down to the sump for that very reason) what do u use for your water changes?

burning2nd

a picture would help.... more then likely your source water or, feeding habbit

ill say a pray 4u that its not bryopsis.

RODI?

framerguy

ok guys.. i have been doing frequent water changes (that's good but it depends on the water source whether or not you are making things better) and doing things that the local saltwater supply store has told me (unless you absolutely know the LFS has your best interest at heart treat everything they tell you as suspect. They are out to make money most of the time. Although I have heard there are some good ones)and i still cannot get rid of this green grass looking algea that is slowly taking over my tank.
Seriously look at your source water and get a clean up crew. A sea hare would do wonders.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Welcome Aboard - As everyone has said check your sources, Water, Saltwater, lighting, flow, filtration etc algae eaters, bacteria that eats LHA

Varga

I had the same problem. tank was originally filled with tap water and lgae began to appear so i used phosphate removers as directed, started water changes with RO and a clean up crew. problem was gone in about a week.