HELP! Going kh crazy

Chase

Been battling with my tank for sometime now. I can not get kh in acceptable parameters. when I do water changes it goes up. all other tests read . temp 78.4, gravity 1.025, Po3 0, N03 0, Calcium 420 (down from 600 prior to water change), ph 8.4 and then the kh 340.1. How can this be?? PLEASE.... I really could use your suggestions. I just did a 10 gal water change (40 gal brdr) and the kh went from 268.5 to 340.1. i've done this test 3 times in the last couple hours to make sure.

Chase

Tap water or rodi water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I've been using tap recently. But used ro water before, but it has always been high regardless of the water I used. tonight it just tested at 304.3 so it dropped 36 points in 18 hours, still way to high. But I'll give RO H2o a try again.

DaveK

Are you sure your doing the test correctly and reportind alkalinity correctly?
Are you sure your test kit is good?
Here is a table of typical values (offsite) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Nothing is close to 304 for alkalinity in any of the typical units, meg/L or dKH.
If your water was actually at those levels, you'd likely have killed everything.

Also, are you using any additives?

Chase

No i haven't been using additives for over a month, with several water changes since i stopped. I use the API Reef Master test kit. which I purchased 8 months ago. But yes the KH reads (today) 14 dKH (German degrees) or 250.6ppm KH. per the directions, every drop of kh solution added equals 1 degree dKH or 17.9 ppm. I'm beginning to question the accuracy of the test. Is this a reliable testing kit. all bottles say expiration date of 1/2020. going back to the basics and doing weekly water changes and look into a different type of testing brand.

DaveK

If your in doubt about the test kit, and would tend to doubt an API test kit, get another brand of test kit and retry the tests.

For the standard aquarium grade test kits I like Seachem and Salifret but there are others. For lab grade test kits I like LaMotte or Hach, but these are very expensive, and really not needed for most measurements.

While I generally like supporting your LFS, items like test kits are best obtained from one of the major online reef suppliers, since they will tend to have a much faster turn around. The kit at your LFS may have been around the place for years.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would go with a salifert test and I bet you get a better reading. Then I'd test a fresh batch of mixed water to know what your adding. Knowing those two you can then put together a plan to manage.

Don't freak out too much, I'm 99.9% sure your test kit is bad so your actual number could very well be balanced with your 420 CA

Desmond

As said above if your tank is not looking any worse i would think that you KH is ok.
i Would strongly advise using RO water also. Salifert test are good and red sea.

Chase

Thanks for all the info everyone. Haven't been having any troubles lately. actually I lost a bubble tip anemone about a month 1/2 ago. Something must be working because since I've found two small anemones (bubble tips i assume by the shape of the tentacles) growing and doing very well. they are both about the size of a dime now, and eating well. One travels about looking for his perfect spot while the other has been content in the same place I first found him. Very excited about this.

Chase

Are you sure they are not siptasia or majano anemones?
Thanks for giving me a name to look up. I know I have the Aiptasia in the tank not many but yes a few. However you are correct with the Majano anemone. that is what they are. Now to figure out if I want to keep them or eradicate them.... Not sure where they came from. I haven't added anything new to the tank in months.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
There are different schools of thought on keeping it getting ride of them. I personally would remove it so they do not spread. They can really start to sting things if they touch.

Chase

There are different schools of thought on keeping it getting ride of them. I personally would remove it so they do not spread. They can really start to sting things if they touch.
Thinking I might move their rock mounts into the gravel bed to stay away from anything. For a while, till I decide what to do with them. The only thing left as far as inverts is a Xenia and some mushrooms. I hate to kill anything unless it becomes an issue. But I do have Clownfish and don't want them to be injured or worse.