Fresh water breeding?!

kerry

Hello all, I know my question is not about my saltwater tank for a change, but I do have a bit of a situation in my freshwater tank. I have two barbs (approx. 2/3 years old), and well, am pretty sure that one is about to lay eggs. I had an angel lay eggs about five years ago, but just let them go as food/waste. I was curious what it would take to try and raise the new comers.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!!!!!:woody:

DaveK

Egg laying fish like barbs require a breeding tank. Usually you set up a tank of about 10 - 15 gal, with a sponge filter, and heater. Usually java moss is used as a spawning material.

They you put the pair in the breeding than for a day, and let them do "their thing". The eggs hath in a day or two. I believe most barb fry are bog enough to start of newly hatched brine shrimp. Once you get them to baby livebarer size you are home free.

on the topic of fresh water fish i converted a platy to salt water, and it's doing great. i cant bring myself to feed with live food, but was just wondering if you guys ever thought of using a pair of livebearer's spawn as a replenishable food source for the other fish? that's why i had to get rid of my other livebearers, because i couldn't control the rate of their baby making. i thought about it from someone telling me that people have LB just for that reason. True/False?