frag tank size

Charlie97L

hey guys, what's the best size frag tank for a 14K 150w DE/HQI pendant? I'm going to plumb it into my main system and just run a couple MJ12's on hydro flos. any suggestions? if it's glass, i'll have to drill it for return/drain, so that's a factor.

also, what are some good inhabitants for the frag tank? i have about 2.5 ft of space, also, between my main tank and the wall. i was thinkin maybe a 20L... that would give me a good height for the MH... but then what height would i run that? thanks so much!

FateX8

I'll vote on a custom 2'x2'x1' tank
or if you want a regular sized tank go for a 30breeder
i believe thats 36"x18"x12"

Charlie97L

yeah, i don't have that much space... i would go with a 2x2x1, but then it would stick out too much from the wall. it's in a higer traffic area, so that's no good. also, my display is only a 58, also. :) so having a frag tank almost that big doesn't make sense at the moment.

i think i found a 20L for a good deal locally. trying to find a stand, etc. right now. i'll keep you guys posted. :) thanks!

Charlie97L

hahaahhah. naw, i just got a sunpod. works well. although i think i may need a new bulb, from the freakin algae outbreak i've had in there.

I have used 2 20 gallon longs back to back with just enough gap for filter hoses... It worked great just depends on how you position it in the room! Just an idea???

Good luck
Shawn

FateX8

frag tanks are just tanks used to growout coral frags that you propogate from your system to sell or give away
idealy its usually shallow so theres more light penetration and also when feeding food doesnt go everywhere and increases the chance that the coral will get the food and rot away

Charlie97L

i'm also using it, (new setup) on a separate system to insure that some of my nicer coral survive if i have a crash. i am propagating for trading, but i do like redundancy. :)