HELP! Foxface Rabbitfish

meknudson2

Hi everyone, I purchased a Foxface Rabbitfish two weeks ago and it has settled in well. He has decided to pick at my Trachyphyllia or open brain. I am not sure if feeding it more algae would make him pick at it less or stop. Just wondering what other people might think. Thanks for any advice or experience.

mr_tap_water

Try feeding him some lettuce or any other type of green stuff you prefer on a clip it will give him something to keep going back to also you could try feeding a little bit more heavier for a little while which may take his mind off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Fish eat like little kids. They both eat their favorite food until it's gone. Then they eat their second most favorite food and so on down the line.

If your fish likes your coral more than the algae you offer, you'll need to make a choice between them. It if likes algae more your all set.

meknudson2

Yeah I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will leave my open brain alone. I will start with calurpa this morning and nori after he finishes that. Thank you "DaveK".

I am hoping he will take care of the Bryopsis in the tank there seems to be less and less of it so that is really good, tough stuff to get rid of.

Last edited:

DaveK

Offhand, I can't think of anything that eats Bryopsis. Only good aquarium management will reduce that.

meknudson2

This is the stuff that is rooted in the rock nothing will get rid of it. It came in on a rock and it has pretty much stayed my params are great and I have no problems other then this. I have had this tank for about four years and it is doing great just can't pull this stuff off the rocks because it is rooted in there. I need to catch him and take him to the lfs he doesn't seem to want to leave it alone when it finally opens back up every three days or so :(.

Blue Space

Maybe try cutting the top off of a 2 liter bottle (or appropriate sized bottle) and place it over the coral to protect it????

DaveK

Maybe try cutting the top off of a 2 liter bottle (or appropriate sized bottle) and place it over the coral to protect it????

This will work for a short period of time. Long term, either the fish figures a way past it, or the coral suffers from the lack of circulation.