Foggy Tank

mick77

Is is dry bryne or frozen? Personally, I prefer the frozen (heard horror stories about phosphates in dry food). Also, check out www.marinedepot.com for some test kits. They generally have some great deals on Salifert test kits. I too went the way of having the LFS check my water for me, but after several months in the hobby, found it bothersome to have them routinely check my water. Don't get me wrong, if there's something going on, and none of my test kits reveal anything, I always go the LFS for some higher quality tests. Everybody has great ideas and well worth looking into. Don't get frustrated and good luck! If you had success before, you're bound to get there again!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious for the fish, other meaty foods such as silversides, and mysis shrimp are much more hearty than the brine. I feed emerald entree frozen food (a mix of brine, mysis, otehr meaty foods can't remeber exactly, and some veggies), every other day, and don't have any problems with water quality. There are also other varieties by the same brand, but the emerald entree had the bes variety in one package, IMO.

Rosemary

Fidojoe, It is the frozen brine... I will try your suggestion and see how the fish do with that. What about my invertibrates? what should I feed them, the store I have been dealing with said that brine was fine for them too....? ! Rose

fidojoe

Fish Addict
What type of inverts do you have? Just the duster? If you have hermits and snails too, they are scavengers, and also eat algae. The dusters are filter feeders, so it just catches what is floating through the water. The emerald entree would work well for your tank, and if you start getting corals, they would like phytoplankton.

Rosemary

There is one feather duster and one little bunch of polips, a few mushrooms on some live rocks and 4 damsels and one clown, there are a few small hermits and one star fish...... the emerald entre is what I am going to start to feed them tomarrow. I have no idea why the people at the shop I go to act so silly. I went there this afternoon and they behave as if they know the right answers but they do not want to let me in on what I need.... I am confused.. they sit behind the counter and just look at me, Its frustrating :( I am trying to see if there are any other places here in San Diego... Thank you ....... Rosemary

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Rosemary, welcome to RS.

You are receiving some great advice. I just wondered when your last water change was? Aside from knowing what your other water parameters are, what does the fog look like? Is it hazy, or green, or milky, can you describe it? Are the polyps on your live rock opened and look fine other than the water clarity? Is the tank near a window or receiving excess light? What is your photoperiod?

I agree that more live rock will aid as biological filtration - 25-30#s in a 60 gal isn't very much. Don't stress, we'll get you figured out and on the path of success.

Sorry for overwhelming you with questions - it appears I have been extremely long winded today. :(

Rosemary

Hello Nikki,

Its just a light haze that can be seen through the side of the tank. My feather duster seems fine, it's out and opened up now the polips seem to open at times but never fully. The mushrooms are all just beautifully open and the fish do not seem to be stressed at all. The tank is by a window but not much light comes it at all, there is a patio outside and lots of plants so no direct sun. Thank you for responding, Rosemary

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I'd really love to know what your calcium, alkalinity, and pH are.... Let us know the results after you get your water tested. Along with those parameters, post your salinity, temperature, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hmm, I know there must be some, my sister lives there, but does not do the whole fish thing, otherwise I'd be able to help you fing a good LFS. I do know that there are a bunch of people on this board that live in SoCal, so they might be able to help.

Does your tank have any other source of light other than the light coming in from outside, like a bedroom light or similar?

Cougra

Rosemary:

Welcome to the sanctuary. I'm sorry to hear that your LFS doesn't seem to care about what's happening in your tank. Unfortunately it seems they are there for money only!

you are getting good advice so far. Remember not to panic and add anything to the tank to quickly clear up the problem, this will cause more problems in the long run.

Once we get some water readings we can help you out more. I would also recommend that you stop feeding the tank for a few days, if you are having a bacterial bloom (white cloudy water) then it may be because something died or over feeding and your system is struggling to keep up with the bio-load. Fish can handle going for a few days without food with no ill effect.

Rosemary

:D Well thankyou for all of your support and all your advice! But I have great news! When I got up this morning the tank was perfectly clear, crystal clear... I really wonder what happened. I had my water tested at a different shop a while ago and all is great.... I am still baffled as to what caused this fog. I hope it stays clear. I still do not want to add anything new, except for some live rock maybe.. But otherwise all is well... Thank you very much for your concern and great advice.... ROsemary