first timer

sarah

hi,
curttswearing ask for my tank details. Im running a rio 300ltr with a internal filter [which is built in] a eheim professionel 2026 exturnal filter, prizm deluxe skimmer, about 20kg live rock adding some more in the new year ran out of money, coral sand. ph 8.2, salinity 1.023, ammo, nitrite & nitrate 0. Ive got 3 sorts of polpys, bubble mushroom, and a green one[forgot the name] and 2 pink finger corals, living with all this is a cleaner shrimp, 2 scarlet hermits,boxer shrimp, porcerline crab and a arrow crab[ demented].
tank dimanstions are 48x21x20ins temp is 80f and basic blue and white lighting forgot the watt. it is also coverd.

The big question is what are the best fish for a starter and new to this game and how many can u have in a tank this size.

Hope i have gave enough info, and happy new year.
sarah xxxxx:D

openbrain

It depends on where you want to go with your tank as to what fish are a good starter. I can tell you this, don't get any Damsels unless thats all you want.

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree dont go with damsels,too aggressive.it all depends on what you plan to keep,what type of corals ect.with a 48in long tank i would stay with fish that are'nt going to grow to large for your tank.do some research first.hth.

Pro_builder

You can get a clown fish or 2 ( perculas) aren't aggressive.
Are you wanting to keep SPS, LPS, or just softies?
There are Tangs that wouldn't be a problem, but you have to keep them fed or they will nip at LPS.
What ever you decide to get do a lot of research on it and see weather it is Reef compatable before buying.

mwrager

i agree dont go with damsels,too aggressive. start slowly, put 1 or 2 in then wait a few weeks and test the water, then if you want more put them in. If you do like aggessive fish. make sure they are the last fish you put in. Start with less aggessive first.

ste

welcome Sarah to RS
i think your tank will be ready for a fish you should look at a rule of an inch of fish (fully grown) to 4 gallon of water will be about right give or take
A clown or two was my first fish as they are quite hardy and not as aqro as damsels hope this helps :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
you can also look into gobies they're reefsafe have a great personality and aren't aggressive you can get a shrimp goby and pair them up with a pistol shrimp they form a symbiotic relationship HTH;)

sarah

Thanks for ure help one more question what is the best anenome for clown fish.

thanks sarah xxx:D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That all depends on what type of lighting you have. They require alot of light to survive. The hardiest of Anemones is the BTA. I have 4 of them and they're Hosts to my True Perculas:)

SaltyQueen

I'd advise against an anemone if you're a beginner- they're very hard to raise- require VERY good lighting & excellent water conditions. An anemone isn't necessary for clowns, and your clowns may even host in something other than an anemone (like some corals).

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree with SaltyQueen I would wait for you're tank to mature and read about them so you can be well prepared to care for them;)

JennM

Clowns not aggressive?

Geez I've been bitten by more clownfishes than any other sort. Percs are not aggressive *as far as clowns go* but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are not territorial or aggessive, period!

Orange skunks are far more peaceful than percs...

Skip the anemone. If you get farm raised clowns they have never known an anemone. If you get skunk clowns, and somewhere in the future you are able to support an anemone, skunks will host in a bubble tip or long tentacle - percs' natural host is a carpet anemone, much harder to keep.

Clark's clowns will host in anything, but they can be aggressive...

At 11 weeks you should be able to get a fish or two -- as long as your water parameters test that you can. Zero ammonia and nitrite.

Jenn