Filtration for 20 gallon mantis tank

jake9015

Hi guys wondering hat filtration I should use on the 20g I have for the mantis? Was thinking about Cprs HOB refugium and slimmer but maybe a canister or HOB filter like the Aquino and then a slimmer. Thoughts?

PIMPALA

i assume by "slimmer" you mean sKimmer... even though you said it twice. LOL

that being said, a fuge and a skimmer both are a VERY good idea for a mantis tank. i'd skip the canister filter.

it also depends on the type, species, and size of the mantis you plan on keeping. some very small species of smasher wont need much, but the larger peacocks, and larger stabbers will require heavy heavy skimming, as they are messy eaters, and often leave rotting food in their dens, or dump it outside in the sand bed.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Damnautocorrect.com stupid slimmers....

Haha.. that website is great Matt.. my girlfriend says thanks for hours of laughing....

My mantis is worse than a pirhana.. she shreds silversided and there's pieces everywhere when she eats... the rest of my system absorbs the mess but if it was a stand alone 20g I think you would have to go BIG on all types of filtration if you want to avoid frequent large waterchanges...

I tend to distract Matt from talking about reefing.

DaveK

I'd set up a moving bed filter and ats in a sump. just my .02

I assume you are refering to a fluidized bed filter. In my opinion, this type of filtration is fine for chemical flitration such as phosban. I would not recommend a fluidized bed filter for biological filtration. The big problem is that if you have a power failure or a flow failure with a fluidized bed filter the bacteria die off very quickly. Then when it restarts, you have no biological filtration.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do Any Of You Pick Your Mattis Shrimp Up?

In all honesty I will probably try one day... and if I do I will hav a camera rolling.. I really can't imagine doing it and not getting hurt.. my peacock is def on the wild side.

....over and out!.