Filter system for a 125 FOWLR?

Rhodes19

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some feed back on what would be a good filtration system for a 125 g FOWLR set up. I brought home an existing (2 years old) 125 FOWLR over the weekend and it came with about 80-100 lbs of live rock, a wet/dry system with bioballs, and a small skimmer. I'm thinking a pulling the wet/dry and replacing it with a sump with refugium, macro algae, a filter sock, and a skimmer. I will probably add a carbon and GFO reactor to it as well. Let me know what you thing and feel free to offer any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.

Chris

Robzilla

Chris, before I switched over to the good side, I was rocking a fowlr. The biggest think that helped me was live rock (allow for good flow) and a good CUC. The nassarius and turbo snails really helped out. The sump will be the best bet and I wish I had one with my fowlr. A good skimmer is what is going to make the biggest difference with the fish waste. My two cents!

Rob

Robzilla

Oh and one more thing....make sure you do all the research on compatability. You obviously know what you are doing (I have silently been lurking on your threads) and you have Frankie for the best help ever, but compatability is a huge factor here since stressed fish produce more waste.

Rhodes19

Hi Rob,

Thanks, I appreciate the feed back. It just occurred to me that I could get turbo snails and won't have to worry about them knocking stuff over!!! LOL!! I'll be playing with the rockscape after the water parameters settle down and I think I'll add some of my diy rock that I have left over for a bigger bio filter. I dumped the sand when we moved the tank and thought about just going bare bottom but I'm not sure I like the look. Sand would add more bio filtration. Something to ponder on. I'll have to check out the skimmer that came with the tank. It's not working at the moment but if it was, I don't know if its big enough for the tank. Good point on compatibility. I was thinking of making it an angel tank but I need to do my research. I like their colors but I'm not familiar with their compatibilities. I just know I don't want to take the chance with them in my reef tank. :)

Robzilla

I liked my turbos when I was a fowlr but now Im working on removing them for that reason. They are amazing cleaners in a fowlr tank. That is a great use for the DIY rock! I am transitioning into a BB tank as well. I have seen a few BB fowlr tanks that look great after the coraline covers it and it really helps in keeping the tank clean since waste can't get trapped in the substrate. Sand is pretty but is a real pain IMO and is only needed if you have something like a goby or an invert that needs to bury a foot. A good skimmer is going to be very important so that might be a main focus for your next item to tackle.

Yeah I love Flame Angels (and angels in general) but just do NOT want to chance it lol. Make sure you have enough macro and sponges for them too if you go that route.

Sorry if this is all stuff you know. You have a lot of knowlede in this hobby! Just chipping in any ideas that might help.

Rhodes19

Sorry if this is all stuff you know. You have a lot of knowlede in this hobby! Just chipping in any ideas that might help.

LOL!! No worries. I know enough to be dangerous. :D And besides, if some one tells me something I already know, that just makes me feel better about what I know. :) I'll try BB for a while and see if it grows on me. It will make it easier to clean out the waste. Maybe I just need a coraline bottom. I'll have to start doing some research on the angels, I didn't know they like sponge and macro. Thanks for the info.

Ok, back to work. :)