Feeding Lionfish

samaziz

Re: Feeding Marine Fish and Marine Fish Nutrition

Hi, I hope you still watch the post
I have a Lionfish - an Asfur (Arabian) Angel - a Two Stripe Clown - and a Sohal Tang
I use Sera GVC mix 3 times a day, and I feed the lion freezed shrims - marine shrimps from suez (red sea).
At first only the clown showed interest in the shrimps, now even the sohal and asfur go for a piece.
Is the freezed shrimps enough for the lionfish? and what kind of "whole fish" can i get for it?
And do you recommend i put broccoli for the asfur and sohal?

leebca

WELCOME TO REEF SANCTUARY!

I moved your post into its own thread.

Your community tank is a mix of strict carnivore, omnivores, and herbivores. It will be a challenge to feed them because they all don't eat what the other is supposed to eat. If you learned from the main post on fish nutrition, each type of fish needs to be fed a separate diet.

On one end of the scale is the Tang. They want and must have a lot of marine algae to eat. Both the Angel and the Anemonefish should also partake in eating some of this, to varying degrees. You need to follow the feeding advice given here for feeding marine algae to those fishes: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...41782-how-feed-macro-alage-marine-fishes.html

The Angel and Anemonefish will want a mix of vegetable and meaty foods.

The Lionfish will want just meaty foods.

You want to provide no land products and no products from freshwater. Our marine fishes are on a strict seafood diet. :)

The Tang is eating the shrimp, probably because it's starving -- it's not getting marine algae.

The Lionfish should be offered small crabs (also hermit crabs that have been removed from their shell is good, too), the shrimp you have mentioned, large krill, and small saltwater fish. These foods should be gut loaded or 'spiked' with supplemental vitamins and fats. Vary the foods so the fish doesn't get into any kind of bad habit.